We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC and Federal Marshals Seized Pirate Radio Stations in New York City  (Read 1436 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
On Monday the FCC announced the unsealing of two complaints against unlicensed broadcasters operating in the New York City borough of The Bronx. The Commission and US Attorney’s Office also said that “on April 2, 2014, FCC agents and Deputy U.S. Marshals, pursuant to warrants, seized the radio transmission and production equipment identified in the two complaints.”

Full article: http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2014/04/15/fcc-federal-marshals-seized-pirate-radio-stations-new-york-city/

FCC announcement: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0414/DOC-326561A1.pdf
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
Brooklyn here! My FM dial is still filled with pirates, as is (I would suspect) the majority of NYC. There are literally dozens of FM pirates on the air in this city (I can pick up nearly a dozen from my home in Midwood/Flatbush).

I suspect these two got heightened attention because they were a) blatantly commercial, b) operating way, way out in the open, c) have a history of repeated contact with the FCC, and d) may have caused significant interference to licensed stations.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
"may have caused significant interference to licensed stations"

Clearly they did-- if they were selling advertising.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Has Bunny Boy been to NYC recently?

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
There are several rules you don't want to break if you want to stick around.  Spectrum hogging, interference, selling advertising, ect.  It appears it was likely to happen sooner than later.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns