We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Total lunar eclipse on April 14-15: What is a 'blood moon'?  (Read 3204 times)

Fansome

latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-total-lunar-eclipse-20140404,0,5982190.story
latimes.com
Total lunar eclipse on April 14-15: What is a 'blood moon'?

By Deborah Netburn

7:00 AM PDT, April 7, 2014

Mark your calendars, sky watchers: In one week a total lunar eclipse will turn the moon an eerie shade of red.

On April 14, at 10:58 p.m. PDT, the moon will move into Earth's shadow. The full lunar eclipse -- when the entirety of the moon is shaded by Earth -- begins just over an hour later at 12:07 a.m. and lasts until 1:25 a.m. PDT.

[Updated, 11:13 a.m. PDT April 7: The eclipse will be visible across almost the entire continental United States, most of Canada and Central America and parts of South America. To see if it is visible from where you live, check out Sky and Telescope magazine's map.]

The coming red moon, which you may have heard called a "blood moon," is a perfectly natural occurrence.

Every time the moon passes completely into the shadow of the Earth, it turns a reddish color -- sometimes a bright copper, other times the dark reddish brown of dried blood.

The red color occurs because even when the Earth has moved directly between the moon and the sun, the scattered light from all the sunsets and sunrises on the rim of our globe still make it to the moon's surface.

"If you were standing on the moon during a total lunar eclipse you would see the Earth as a black disk with a brilliant orange ring around it," said Alan MacRobert, of Sky and Telescope magazine. "And this brilliant ring would be bright enough to dimly light up the lunar landscape."

It has been a long time since a total lunar eclipse has been visible from the United States. According to MacRobert, the last one took place on Dec. 11, 2011. But the good news is there are three more on the way after this one.

This lunar eclipse is the first in what is called an eclipse tetrad -- four successive lunar eclipses with no partial lunar eclipses in between.

The next one, which also will be visible from nearly all of North America, will take place in October.

As for the intriguing term "blood moon" -- that appears to be new. MacRobert has been writing about astronomy since 1982, and had never encountered it before.

The astronomy website EarthSky.org suggests the phrase originated not with astronomers, but with a Christian pastor named John Hagee and his 2013 book, "Four Blood Moons: Something is about to change."

According to Hagee's ministry website, the book "explores the supernatural connection of certain celestial events to biblical prophecy."

Regardless of whether or not you call it a blood moon, this lunar eclipse is definitely worth staying up late to see.

"I really urge everyone to watch the progress of this eclipse," MacRobert said. "Whether you have a small telescope, a pair of binoculars or even just your naked eye -- you'll be seeing part of the geometry of the cosmos happening right in front of your eyes."

Fansome

Re: Total lunar eclipse on April 14-15: What is a 'blood moon'?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 1120 UTC »
They don't mention this in the article for some reason, but remember to NOT stare directly at the eclipse; you could put your eye out!

Nella F.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 0123 UTC »
You tryin' to bate someone? The Earth's shadow will appear on the moon. Need I say more?

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 0824 UTC »
Calm down. You're just upset because of this:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/469228/Four-blood-moons-Does-alignment-of-Mars-Earth-and-Sun-mean-the-end-of-the-world-is-nigh

None of us are probably going to make it through this, so we should all just relax and enjoy the (last) ride.

You tryin' to bate someone? The Earth's shadow will appear on the moon. Need I say more?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 1537 UTC »
When I was a boy, the term "blood moon" referred to the first full moon after Halloween. It was when you slaughtered hogs and steers for the year. It was a common term.

A lunar eclipse like the one described here was called "Blood on the Moon". It was generally considered a bad omen by old folks.

Didn't they teach you to read the Signs at Cal Tech, Al?

That could explain your tire pressure problems. You put air your tires only during the new moon. A full moon draws the air out.

Nella F.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 0012 UTC »
Calm down. You're just upset because of this:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/469228/Four-blood-moons-Does-alignment-of-Mars-Earth-and-Sun-mean-the-end-of-the-world-is-nigh

None of us are probably going to make it through this, so we should all just relax and enjoy the (last) ride.

Too bad it aint every 666 days instead of 778 days. I prefer blood oranges. Deelicious!

Offline Rockpicker

• Middle of No Where Montana
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 0048 UTC »
I photographed this one from my front porch Feb 20 2008. Pretty Orange / Red and not a full eclipse.
Central Montana
Winradio G31DDC Excalibur, YB 400PE,  Satellit 750
RF Systems MLBA with 85' of copper flex weave

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 0130 UTC »
Is next weekend when you slaughter the rabbits, Al?

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 0235 UTC »
I've got a bad feelin' about the moons.  At first I thought it meant lots of death because of the "blood." BUT, upon asking whatever it is I pray to for a translation of the moons: (drum roll)...I realized it could be a financial bad omen to the US govt!  Because it happened on April 15th (tax day), it was visible to all of America (kinda rare), and blood is red (as "in the red"). 
California Coast
Antenna: random wire