We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Channel Z QSL received via postal mail 11 Apr 2014  (Read 1459 times)

Offline philcobill

• View Profile
Channel Z QSL received via postal mail 11 Apr 2014
« on: April 12, 2014, 0149 UTC »

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 1042 UTC by philcobill »

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Channel Z QSL received via postal mail 11 Apr 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 1754 UTC »
Received today also via regular postal service! Nice glossy photo QSL #265 and photo of the Commando homebrewed xmtr, along with a very nice letter from Z. Thank you very much Z and special thanks to Andy Walker for his "Before They Were Famous" program series!!! Looking forward to hearing Part 4  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 1836 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 1919 UTC »
Channel Z eQSL received in 4 days from channelzradio@gmail.com. Thanks Z and Andy Walker!
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

oly1959

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 0011 UTC »
Just got home from Chicago to find the same really cool QSL for his April 2nd show accompanied by a nice letter talking about Andy Walker and Channel Z Radio. Many thanks Channel Z and looking forward to future shows! ;D
Here is a copy of the Channel Z letter:

Thanks for your e-mail report and HFU logging.  My latest experiment was to try broadcasting in the middle of the international 49 meter band, in the hopes of surprising some casual listeners, or DXers just tuning around.  It’s good to know that you could hear me.  You heard one of the special “Before They Were Famous” programs from guest DJ Andy Walker.  I was very lucky to have Andy do these shows for Channel Z Radio, as he has been in semi-retirement the past three years, with only occasional guest appearances on Crazy Wave Radio in Germany, and now for the third time on Channel Z Radio.  “Before They Were Famous-Part 4” has already been recorded, and will air sometime very soon.

Andy has been involved in free radio for over 37 years, and got his start at the age of 15 as part of the site crew with Radio Kaleidoscope in London. He was instrumental in bringing long-time land based pirate Radio Free London (RFL) back to the air waves in the mid 1990’s, and was a regular DJ on WNKR (West and North Kent Radio) for over 20 years.  In addition, he was part of the crew on Britain’s first legally licensed offshore station, Offshore Radio 1584 in 1992.

Channel Z has been on the air since November 2004, and started because of my interest in building homemade shortwave transmitters.  To date, Channel Z has been heard in 30 states, Canada, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Newfoundland, Norway, Poland and Venezuela; all on homebrewed transmitters.  This time I was using my favorite transmitter, the Commando, designed by Dave Martin of WNKR.  The Commando does 25 watts carrier on 43 meters with a 14 VDC supply.  The antenna was a horizontal dipole, cut for 6200 kHz, and was approximately 15 meters above ground.

I'd appreciate it if you could send me a brief e-mail, postcard, or submit logs to the HF Underground and Free Radio Weekly whenever you hear my station.  Also, audio clips would be greatly appreciated, as I like to hear how the modulation and audio quality sounds at the receiving end.  Thanks, and fight for free radio!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 0040 UTC by oly1959 »