We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: India dropping SW and DRM  (Read 2752 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
India dropping SW and DRM
« on: April 17, 2014, 1932 UTC »
New Delhi, March 3 (IANS): You will soon be able to catch your favourite regional radio programmes on FM radio with maximising of the existing technology and junking of the "mindless" and "silly" plan of introducing digital radio, says Prasar Bharati chief Jawhar Sircar.

Funds for this venture will come from leasing out the 50-odd centres where SW or Short Wave receiving transmitters stand, and also "closing down DRM" or digital radio mondiale and "putting the money in FM", he said.

SW has no takers any more and the 50 transmitters or receiving centres are standing on prime land located in 50 major towns across India, which could be leased out to government departments. It will earn "enough money to fund the entire exercise", the top official said.

On digital radio, Sircar said the government has already spent a lot of money on digital radio needlessly.

Full article: http://www.newskarnataka.com/news/content/exclusive/-Regional-radio-channels-on-FM-soon-Prasar-Bharati-CEO-Interview?fb_action_ids=10152404460852495&fb_action_types=og.likes
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Nella F.

Re: India dropping SW and DRM
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 2341 UTC »
I'm actually listening right now (via library) to "FM Gold" from their official web page. What I'm wondering, is the music coming via digital cable entirely & all the way from India or are they using satellites ?

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 1317 UTC »
Although it doesn't actually say that they are closing down shortwave, it is implied. Leasing the sites would entail closing the SW transmitters currently there I guess.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 1644 UTC »
That's interesting...All India Radio has committed to a major DRM upgrade on its AM stations.

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 1956 UTC »
Yes, I remember them announcing all shortwave transmissions are going to be DRM in the future and I remember thinking the only listener they will then have left is Victor Goonetilleke in Sri Lanka, lol.

Maybe they finally got the memo that shortwave DRM is a failure and shortwave itself does not lend itself to localized [near the transmitter] audiences. FM really is the way to go; then if they want to go IBOC digital they could it on  FM.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 2015 UTC »
I have what I consider to be a fairly decent setup, but I think I've managed to hear a total of 2 or 3 DRM stations.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 2043 UTC »
There is always The Disco Palace

www.thediscopalace.com

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 0210 UTC »
Is Disco Palace still on the air? I thought they had gone to an internet only thing & dropped shortwave in A14
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 0027 UTC »
Yes, I remember them announcing all shortwave transmissions are going to be DRM in the future and I remember thinking the only listener they will then have left is Victor Goonetilleke in Sri Lanka, lol.

Maybe they finally got the memo that shortwave DRM is a failure and shortwave itself does not lend itself to localized [near the transmitter] audiences. FM really is the way to go; then if they want to go IBOC digital they could it on  FM.

I don't think IBOC's found any meaningful purchase outside of North America...

Nella F.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 1704 UTC »
The government official responsible for overseeing the change is probably involved (ie $/stocks/bribes).

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 2231 UTC »
Is Disco Palace still on the air? I thought they had gone to an internet only thing & dropped shortwave in A14

Their website sill lists 15775 as their summer frequency.  Might have to give it a listen.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns