We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: taking the PL-660 for a stroll in the rain, 04/21, 0130 UTC  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Here are the logs I managed tonight.  I was specifically trying for Brazilians, and I got 'em!  I've been seeking these two stations for months!  Definitely QSLing them both. 

9645, Radio Bandeirantes, 0130-0152.  News programming, including one interview or correspondent report down a telephone line and male and female announcers taking turns with stories, though the male presenter did more of the talking.  Musical stingers between items, one mention of internacional, and a definite Bandeirantes ID at 0150.  Signal fair in rainstorm static.  SINPO 33333.  Matched // to a comparable 11925, though that signal had a transmitter hum. 

9818.5, Radio 9 de Julho, 0140-0152.  Gentle instrumental music at tune-in, into a program of the same moderated by a very mellow male presenter.  Signal weak but audible in rainstorm static, SINPO 32232.  No sign of a usually-interfering China on 9820. 

Add to that a loud Radio Progreso from Habana on 4765 (old-fashioned organ music, mostly) and an equally booming Radio Nacional da Amazonia on 11780, and it's not a bad night for DX here in the Midwest.  I'm sorry I couldn't catch Caiari Porto Velho, Cancao Nova or Boa Fontade, though. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: taking the PL-660 for a stroll in the rain, 04/21, 0130 UTC
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 1511 UTC »
There's another Brazilian that makes it up here to the NW periodically, a station called R. Super Deus E Amor.

It's on 11765 khz.

Lots of preaching going on, with a little music and grainy sounding slogans.

Another one I've heard more than once is Radio Brasil Central, on 11815 khz. It's in the city of Goiania, central Brazil. They play programming that is similar to Radio Nacional Da Amazonia -- music, call-ins to the DJ, etc.

You may have gotten these already, though....

Good catch on Radio 9 De Julho, I've never heard that one.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 0053 UTC »
I've only managed Radio Brasil Central once, fairly recently.  I was delighted!  :)  I do get Radio Deus e Amor quite often, to varying degrees.  Voz Missionaria has been known to simulcast that one, I think?  9665 or slightly lower, 9664.7 or so.  Have you ever managed Radio Aparecida or Inconfidencia?  Aparecida on 11855 is getting clearer of late, maybe they've worked on their transmitter?  Inconfidencia I've only managed once, very weakly, on 15190. 

there's also Radio Clube do Para and Difusora de Macapa on 60 meters, plus a few more I've never managed.  Unless I get to the country or the lake or somewhere, 60 is full of some serious static!  I'd love to get some of the others; Londrina, Caiari Porto Velho, Florestas Verdes, or Radio Record and Boa Vontade on 49...  to say nothing of the known Nicaraguans, Hondurans and Peruvians on the tropical band.  Itching for a DX trip, me?  Why neeeever.  :)  Spring DXpedition here I come, as soon as I can. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 1209 UTC »
I think I've logged Club De Para on 4885, and one other Brazilian on the 60 meter band (I can't remember the name of the station, as I don't have my logbook handy).

I have never heard the 60 meter Brazilian stations very clearly. Reception is just too grainy to get a really good ID on them, beyond IDing the language spoken and type of music played.

I have also logged Radio Aparecida a couple times, and Bandeirantes a couple times over the years. I also logged Radio Voz De Misionaria on 9665 once about 2 years ago.

Usually I don't get very good reception to Latin America. Here in the NW we have more of a pipeline to Asia and the Pacific.  I always like hearing the Brazilians when I can get them, though. I love hearing the Brazilian DJ's, jingles and music.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).