We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ZARA Radio on windows 7 or WINE  (Read 4295 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
ZARA Radio on windows 7 or WINE
« on: July 21, 2014, 0933 UTC »
My old air computer is still running XP for one reason only; ZARA will not run on windoze 7.  Has anyone tried it under WINE, or know of a version out there that does run on 7/8/et al?  I would like to move away from the technicolor mafia all together and go linux.

I like the idea of rivendell, but for a request based program this is totally inappropriate, as each cut has to be imported one at a time into it's SQL based library.  That's kindof hard to do on the fly, and a large chunk of the library is scattered across multiple HDD's.

Thanks for the help,

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ZARA Radio on windows 7 or WINE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 0522 UTC »
I got bored today and got WINE installed on the desktop configured for XP emulation.  After installing ZARA, I tried to run it, and it does work, with a few caveats.  The program complains that it can't find the windows mixer application, but seems to run fine without it.  Log generation seems to work ok, but don't expect to be able to play music from mounted network storage, at least mine won't.  Local playback from USB drives or local HDD's seems ok.  The program also doesn't seem to like dual monitor enviroments, as when you drag the window to the other monitor it becomes transparent.  The program also doesn't close cleanly.

The long answer, yes it works, but its bitchy.  My desktop has a host of other problems that could also be affecting my success.  Your mileage may vary.

+-RH

Offline James Brownyard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 1447 UTC »
ZARA Radio Free Edition 1.6.2 works on win 7.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 0453 UTC »
I could have been running an older version, but the last time I tried it on 7 it would crash.  I confirmed this problem with others and concluded it's no longer stable under 7.  We'll try the linux route and see what happens.

+-RH