We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Is Shortwave Radio Dead? Read this excellent 'pro' article  (Read 3192 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
http://www.pcjmedia.com/home/1-latest-news/155-the-future-of-shortwave-broadcasting-by-bob-zanotti

The gentleman gives some excellent reasons about ShortWave broadcasting...  Problem is... Is anyone listening to his common sense?

IMHO he is spot on...  What does the group think here?
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
Re: Is Shortwave Radio Dead? Read this excellent 'pro' article
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 2243 UTC »
http://www.pcjmedia.com/home/1-latest-news/155-the-future-of-shortwave-broadcasting-by-bob-zanotti

The gentleman gives some excellent reasons about ShortWave broadcasting...  Problem is... Is anyone listening to his common sense?

IMHO he is spot on...  What does the group think here?

This is a great article which I wholeheartedly agree with. Some broadcasters are jumping the gun and are cutting if not discontinuing their shortwave broadcast, when that technology is still relevant today. Two examples that come to mind are the Voice of Russia and more recently, the Voice of America. While this trend will surely continue, I'm thankful to see that it's happening way slower than I expected. Chances are, there will still be many stations inhabiting the airwaves, even when 2020 rolls around.
Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 0033 UTC »
I think He's dead on.  Another short sighted calamity of all this is that the people who need shortwave the most are the ones destined to lose.  Those people in developing nations without another voice, internet, satellite, et al.  Sure, it takes a lot to run a shortwave station.  Lots of capital, people, land, ect, but it also required the least from the listener.  In many cases, you don't need power.  I've yet to see a crank-powered satellite TV.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 1611 UTC »
I hate to say it, but I disagree with the guy.

Not with his arguments, of course. They're valid.

It doesn't matter that shortwave and AM radios are cheaper, and a more efficient way of listening to a broadcast than using a cell phone or tablet or laptop computer. It doesn't matter that much of the world doesn't have broadband or high quality cell service -- that's immaterial. 

The people running the government, and the media, in the U.S. in particular (and probably much of the rest of the Western World) think everybody is rich enough to afford a great smart phone plan, and they think that everybody in the world has awesome broadband available to listen to internet broadcasts. I mean, they have it, their own families have it, so doesn't everybody?

And this line of out-of-touch thinking drifts over to their view of how people live in Third World countries.  They see a photo on the internet of Jane Q Third World person with a smart phone in hand, and they automatically think that everyone in  ________ (fill in the name of whatever Third World country you wish) has internet service just as readily available, and as affordable, as it is in many Western countries.

It's not just the U.S. that has this issue.

The powers that be in the Australian government somehow think that people on isolated Pacific Islands are going to get Radio Australia on their smart phone. Never mind that there are issues with power in some of those countries. Never mind that R. Oz blasts in so well that even the cheapest, two chip, single conversion, 700 Mw output transistor SW radio will pick it up -- just using a few AA's. And it will do it with a speaker that's loud enough that two people can listen for longer than an hour or so.

It's a case of politicians and policy makers thinking everybody lives just like them and their neighbors.

And also apparently a case of those running the SW services not making a strong enough case to keep the funding alive.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 0522 UTC »
Well said.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 1308 UTC »
Excellent points BoomBox!!  kudos... you nailed the second nut...  :)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 1236 UTC »
Thanks guys.

Hopefully at some time in the next year or so some of the Western countries (US, UK, France, Germany, Australia, Canada, etc.) will see the value in SW broadcasting. There are a lot of people in the Third World, and they present a huge potential market for our goods. But also could be potential allies as well.

Just like one of the two articles posted recently on HFU implies: the Chinese understand this. Why shouldn't our countries also?

73, Boombox
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 1620 UTC »
These broadcasters are very short sighted in that, if they drop the stations they will soon be torn down...  a shame really because the cost to replace them will be a whole lot greater than to maintain what is already there.

One big blast of EMP or if the Sun should do something radical in the future they will wish that had kept these stations and so often I have seen emergency situations where these stations would have been or have been of great value.  Not only is it an issue of listening but an issue of human health and welfare.  Not to mention distant areas with little or no communication...

I'm a firm believer in the 'Butterfly Effect'...  chaos...  It's a reality and we MUST learn to deal with it.

Sorry folks but this issue makes me so frustrated...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Online skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 2053 UTC »
I'm not as worried about an EMP or a blast from the Sun, but more of gov't monitoring or gov't firewalls.

Listen to some foreign station via the Internet might just get you on a watch list or rounded up for being an enemy of the state.

If the gov't firewall is working (e.g. the Great Firewall of China), then you're only allowed to listen to what the gov't allows.

At least with SW, jamming was usually partially effective and at substantial cost, and they can't block all frequencies. A firewall is relatively easy, cheap and more effective.

Even if you have Internet and able to stream, what about data caps and the recurring cost of the Internet connection? Shortwave radio is cheaper.

I'll keep my SW radios. Streaming stations through TOR is crappy.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 0037 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 1037 UTC »
Even more good points skeezix... and you are very correct... I hope someone with better talents than myself could work all that has been said into a proper working paper to present to... ?

Next please  :)

73 Vince
KA1IIC