We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Shortwave’s Newest Broadcaster Global 24 – Takes to the Air  (Read 5783 times)

Offline textim

• Raleigh, NC
  • Hello? *tap tap* Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
(Hollywood, FL) Oct. 21, 2014 – Global 24 Radio LLC announced today that its inaugural broadcast will go live at 7:00 p.m., Friday, Oct. 31, with a line-up of new and well-known programs and around-the-clock English language programming.  The broadcast can be heard 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 9395 kHz on WRMI broadcasting from Okeechobee, Florida.

“We’re very excited about launching Global 24 and the important contributions it will make to shortwave radio listening – as both a medium worth preserving and a vital part of the modern media mix for so many listeners around the world,” said Phil Workman, general manager of Global 24.   “Our broadcast will appeal to dedicated shortwave listeners (SWL) all over the world looking for breaking news, opinion and music.”

Global 24 aims to revitalize the shortwave medium by bringing general interest news and entertainment into sharper focus for listeners looking for high quality programming on a daily basis.  Regular listeners will be informed, entertained and engaged in an ever more complex world. 

According to Jeff White, general manager of WRMI,  “Global 24 represents another step in the long overdue commercialization of shortwave radio.  We are excited to be working with them on their ambitious program to engage and entertain a global audience.”

Additional press releases in coming days will announce our broadcast schedule, our Listeners’ Club, contests, sponsors, our web store, staff and much more.  Follow us on Twitter at @Global24Radio or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/global24radio.  Visit our website:  http://www.global24radio.com  to join our email newsletter for the most current updates.

- See more at: http://about.global24radio.com/for-immediate-release-shortwaves-newest-broadcaster-global-24-takes-to-the-air-at-700-pm-eastern-on-october-31-on-9395-khz/#sthash.qVBdeD04.BEldMS1S.dpuf

Raleigh, NC

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: Shortwave’s Newest Broadcaster Global 24 – Takes to the Air
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 1713 UTC »
How long before Brother Scare ruins global 24? One week? A month?
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 0040 UTC »
 ;D This is a serious issue. Aside from the B. Stair numbers station, the Sage of Walterboro has been way over the frequency allocation of any sane society for several decades now. I wish G24 luck!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 0042 UTC by Rizla »
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 0324 UTC »
You'd think anyone able to buy that much airtime on that many different frequencies would also be able to buy himself some new teeth, wouldn't you? 

I also wish Global24 luck.  If I can tune in for the initial sign-on, I will. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 2058 UTC »
Chanter, brilliant observation. Anyone hear this last night? I was busy partying.
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 0644 UTC »
I missed their initial sign-on - darnit!  I did catch later programming, though.  I only wish propagation had been better.  Things would be armchair quality for a few seconds, then into the murk/noise, then fair, and repeat.  Ugh.  Mostly difficult copy, which was a sharding shame, as the show I was tuned into (a Peacetalks Radio program on Nelson Mandela) would have been excellent to hear all the way through. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 0654 UTC »
Yeah, propagation's been horrible out here as well, as well as the nastiest QRN during an otherwise excellent Halloween...
They're playing "Born to Be Wild" now, SIO 423.... Ever onward!

Offline Mentholyptus

• Ligonier Pennsylvania area
  • "Happy Homemaker by day... Pirate SWLer by night!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 2032 UTC »
So far I like what I'm hearing overall on Global 24. A nice mixed bag. It seems to come in best when I'm getting home from work after 6AM EST... Around 25-30 over, then fades as the day wears on, then perks up again during nighttime hours. Heard a great music program on Channel Africa this morning. They also had RNZI on yesterday, which is kind of a waste for me because it's normally an easy catch for me at my location. I wish them luck, and hope they help attract more novice listeners, and show broadcasters that SW is still extremely viable, and not dump it in favor of streaming, or whatever the latest flavor happens to be.
Primary radio: Icom R75
Secondary radios: Kenwood R1000, Icom R9000
Thirdary radio: Tecsun 880 Portable
Antennas: Par EF-SWL - W6LVP Loop - 25 ft  longwire
=====> Please eQSL to:  pm121152@gmail.com  <=====

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 2317 UTC »
The station is here every night with a quite strong and stable signal. I appreciate it's good program style and content. I hope, this broadcaster will find many-many devoted listeners. There is also interesting system of listeners' activity rating: each activity will be rewarded by some points.
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 0132 UTC »
Good signal coming into SW USA today 0130z. A little fading here and there, but getting better by the minute. Looking forward to hearing the programming.

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 0013 UTC »
I'm enjoying this station too. So great to hear a an interesting (so to speak) and old fashioned shortwave station.

Right now 0000 UTC, program discussing the demise of big sw broadcasters,  before that, "Song of India", with great Indian music.

Signal coming in really well to the SW this winter.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 1216 UTC »
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm definitely liking Global 24 so far.  It is the station that WRMI fails to be: informative and educational, but fun, as well. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 1332 UTC »
Have only heard this new station maybe twice. They just don't come in well here in my part of the NW US. I heard a program on the falling of the Berlin Wall one evening, and then another evening there was a jazz program. Very cool programming. Just wish there was a bit more signal to the NW.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 1722 UTC »
Here in Southern New York, Global 24 starts coming in rather clear between 5 PM (2200z) and 7 PM (0000z), and usually remains clear into the early morning. Usually I'll be able to pleasantly listen on my Tecsun PL-660 with just the telescopic antenna, in the afternoon I won't be able to hear the station, but with a little help from my portable reel antenna and I can pick up the station again.

There's such a wonderful selection of programs, it's great to see a station like this on the air. I've been listening every day, and I wish them all the best.
Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 1740 UTC »
About an S9 signal on 9395 at 1740z, so quite easy to listen to. They transmit from FL, so understand how reception in the NW USA would not always be best.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree