We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The end of an era - BBC Relay Station site handed back to Seychelles  (Read 3406 times)

Fansome

http://www.seychellesnewsagency.com/articles/1792/The+end+of+an+era+-+BBC+Relay+Station+site+handed+back+to+Seychelles

The end of an era - BBC Relay Station site handed back to Seychelles
Grand Anse, Mahe | November 19, 2014, Wednesday @ 16:10 in National » GENERAL | By: Joana Nicette, Sharon Uranie and Hajira Amla | Views: 461
The end of an era - BBC Relay Station site handed back to Seychelles

(Seychelles News Agency) - Tuesday November 18 marked the closure of an iconic chapter of Seychelles’ history, signalling the end of an era when information was much more difficult to come by. With much of Africa joining the internet and mobile phone revolution, the times of trying to glean information about happenings in the rest of the world on a crackly AM radio station have now passed by.

Over 25 years after its establishment, the site of the BBC’s former Indian Ocean Relay Station (IORS), located at Grand Anse, on the western side of the largest inhabited island in the archipelago, was handed back to the government of Seychelles by the country’s British High Commissioner, Lindsay Skoll.

The station transmitted BBC World Service programmes since 1988 via shortwave to listeners across East Africa in a range of languages, including the BBC's English-language output for Africa as well as programmes in Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Somali and French.

In November 2013, the BBC announced its intention to cease all its shortwave transmission services from Seychelles due to a gradual and irreversible fall in demand for shortwave radio services, and on March 29 this year, the BBC IORS retransmission services from Seychelles were officially switched off. BBC World Service broadcasts in East Africa are still available via the internet and also via various other localised frequencies.

The handing over of the site to the Ministry of Land Use and Housing (MLUH) also included the station’s buildings and equipment, all of which are still in working order. The site is spread over a 32,000 square metre property, occupied under a lease dating back to March 27, 1985.

A unifying force

Speaking at the handing over ceremony yesterday, High Commissioner Skoll said the relay station had brought the services of the BBC to parts of the world that really needed it.

“I think BBC stands for inspiration, values, citizenship and unity,” she said. “It brings us together, it makes connections and thereby helps listeners make sense of what is a very fast changing and increasingly global and challenging world.”

The Chief Operating Officer of BBC World Service Group, Richard Thomas, thanked the people of Seychelles for the 25 years of smooth operations, adding that the station’s assets have remained in good condition due to the diligence of the local staff and the station’s operating team.

“The BBC has been very proud to be broadcasting from Seychelles for 25 years and we have covered some huge stories and broadcast them into Africa in particular – obviously the Gulf war, the death of Nelson Mandela – those are some of the events we have been proud to broadcast across Africa and to other parts of the world,” he said.

“And although we are not broadcasting on shortwave from here, we are delighted that we will still be broadcasting on medium wave to the people of the Seychelles, so the BBC will still be here and we are delighted that is the case.”

Seychelles' Foreign Affairs Minister, Jean Paul Adam, said that just as the station had served an important international cause during its years of operation, it would now serve as an equally important national cause: that of agricultural development, where in a small island state such as Seychelles, the minister pointed out that every square metre counted.
The Chief Operating Officer of BBC World Service Group, Richard Thomas, officially hands the site back to the government of Seychelles (Joena Bonnelame, Seychelles News Agency) Photo License: CC-BY

The nation’s bread basket

Now that the site has been officially handed back to the government, MLUH has divided the assets among four local institutions. The Ministry of Natural Resources will take up occupation of the main station building for use as the new Veterinary and Livestock Services centre, which used to be situated at Union Vale, close to the capital city of Victoria.

The relay station site was situated on land formerly used by farmers of long tradition right up until the site was allocated to the BBC in the mid-1980s, and the flat area is likely to see a return to that tradition.

Currently, the immediate surrounds of the site consists of a national pig genetic centre, a newly-constructed soil diagnostic laboratory, the national agricultural inputs bulk store, office buildings belonging to the Ministry of Natural Resources and some livestock farms. A small government-built housing estate of 18 flats and a natural wetland of significant ecological importance also surround the area.

The Minister of Natural Resources, Peter Sinon, described the decision to allocate these assets to agricultural development as testimony of the government’s resolve to revive agriculture in Seychelles.

“Grand Anse, Mahé has always been at the heart of Seychelles agricultural development,” he said. “Along with the new laboratory for plants and research, located in the same district, having the livestock and veterinary facilities here makes it the ideal place for our bread basket.”

Dr Christelle Dailoo, the Director of Livestock Services at the Seychelles Agricultural Agency (SAA), told SNA that there are plans to develop laboratory services that will allow SAA to perform livestock laboratory testing that could not be offered to farmers before and that were being sent overseas or to the public health lab.

A communications boost for Seychelles

The station is equipped with 33KV high-voltage equipment and transformers which will now go into the possession of the Public Utilities Corporation, while the Seychelles Civil Aviation Authority (SCAA) will take over three of the BBC’s four steel communications towers and the annex building.

The SCAA will use the towers to strengthen its air communication and surveillance capabilities and the annex building will be used to house a new high-frequency aviation communications radio system to help control air traffic coming in from the west of the island.

The fourth steel tower will be allocated to the local telecommunications company Cable and Wireless for mobile based telecommunications.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The end of an era - BBC Relay Station site handed back to Seychelles
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 0056 UTC »
"due to a gradual and irreversible fall in demand for shortwave radio services" :'(
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 1644 UTC »
It sounds like the perfect base for our whaling venture, Al.

I recently heard a NAPA Auto Parts ad. They made a specific reference to their inability to get whale oil due to archaic laws forbidding the harvesting of those great lumbering sea mammals. The same beasts that intentionally beach themselves in an attempt to eat our children.

Save our children, America. Lift the whaling ban.

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 0035 UTC »
D*mn flesh-eating cetaceans; they're worse than penguins. I still remember watching one slide up the beach in San Diego; it slammed into a lifeguard tower, knocked the poor guy to the sand, and grabbed him and took him back out to sea. All that was left were a pair of cheap sunglasses.

I'm itching to get out the trypots again.

It sounds like the perfect base for our whaling venture, Al.

I recently heard a NAPA Auto Parts ad. They made a specific reference to their inability to get whale oil due to archaic laws forbidding the harvesting of those great lumbering sea mammals. The same beasts that intentionally beach themselves in an attempt to eat our children.

Save our children, America. Lift the whaling ban.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 0339 UTC »
Penguins make a fine oil, too. We can stop at the Cape of Good Hope, round up 30 or 40 thousand penguins and use their oil to fuel our trip to the whaling grounds.

We'll dowse the harpoon tips with penguin poison and collect the whales as they float to the the top. Penguins for fuel, whales for profit, it's a can't lose proposition.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 1234 UTC »
...and I thought I was a real whack job :o I think you two have been working too hard and need to go on vacation. Maybe a NICE Nantucket Sleigh Ride down to McMurdo Station would help you to achieve equilibrium :)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 0558 UTC »
...and I thought I was a real whack job :o I think you two have been working too hard and need to go on vacation. Maybe a NICE Nantucket Sleigh Ride down to McMurdo Station would help you to achieve equilibrium :)

Al, I can't believe the gall of this interloper. He's not sure of his own sanity, yet he questions ours? Unbelievable!

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 0821 UTC »
You know, these young kids just don't have any respect. Who lets them in here? I think the management may need a shakeup...

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 2008 UTC »
I seem to have entered the wrong door somehow...I thought this was the "Huh?" category. Interloper? Yes it would appear. Young kid? Decidedly not....come on boys, I'll race you to the cemetary ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 2202 UTC by Skipmuck »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 0520 UTC »
 Al, do we keelhaul him now or later?

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 0232 UTC »
Ahhhh, there's nothing like the feel of barnacles and slimy wood slivers scraping the skin raw to make one feel youthful again ;D

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 0239 UTC »
Can you imagine being a BBC transmitter engineer ..... having your choice of Ascension or Seychelles.  I'm sure that was an easy decision.
I read many years ago that the Seychelles led the world in teen promiscuity as well.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns