We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A couple new loggings during recent auroral conditions, 12/10-12/12  (Read 3592 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
A couple nights ago there seemed to be auroral conditions here in the PNW on the AM band. I fired up the PR-D5 (and crate loop), aimed the loop N-S and logged KJUG, Visalia, California, on 1270. It was alone on the channel with religious programs.

Also heard KZSJ 1120, out of San Jose, California, with Vietnamese programming. Didn't get a proper ID until earlier tonight, though.

Third new station was one that still needs an ID, KAZA 1290, Gilroy, California. It has been heard here in the NW even during non-auroral band conditions. I keep hearing their Viet programming, but no ID or local spots yet.

I've found some of the propagation reports online very useful, especially when figuring out how much is auroral based and how much is just poor AM band conditions overall. And sometimes its a mix of both.

PS: the Sangean PR-D5 is a recent acquisition. From what I understand, they may have revamped the circuitry a bit, with a Si4731 digital IF chip, and twin coil loopstick. Same 4 kc bandwidth as previous versions. The radio's kind of like a mini-boombox, so it fits my motif. :-) Have to keep the external loops about 5-6 inches from it to peak them, though, because of some soft muting, and the way it interacts with the external loops.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 1614 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: A couple new loggings during recent auroral conditions, 12/10-12/12
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 1806 UTC »
Some odd propagation here as well this morning (Dec 13, 2014)

Its 1803 UTC and listening to 540. Normally get WXYG from Sauk Rapids solid with no other stations, however, currently WXYG is weak and KWMT from IA is mixing with them, both of roughly equal strength. Loop is aimed towards WXYG. If I turn the loop to put WXYG in the null, it does go away and KWMT comes in very strong. Can't remember picking KWMT up this strong before.

National NC-183D with Wellbrook ALA-1530S+ loop
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 0413 UTC »
Had some odd propagation here too of late.  Last night/early morning today, UTC, I had someone in English strong under CJBC on 860.  I never got an ID, but they were playing Fox-ish network news headlines, including one about a Christmas toy giveaway in Los Angeles with an on-location report attached.  Couldn't figure out who it might've been. 

I also got CKWW in Windsor on 580 late on December 12/early on December 13, including a clear ID and location, and that was a surprise.  580 is normally an unholy mess of a frequency around here, considering the issues our local 1480 has with flinging images all over. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 0143 UTC »
Good catch. CKWW is basically in my backyard so they rule 580 at all times. I can null them out somewhat with the loop and hear other stations below them, but rarely good enough for an ID.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 2110 UTC »
Last night conditions were a bit odd. Not exactly auroral, not exactly hot, either.

Heard a tentative Radio Progreso under KFI on 540, with the radio and loop aimed more easterly. The music matched their web stream, same female announcer, but I didn't get enough matches to really feel confident adding them as a logged station.

I've heard tropical music on 540 before on nights with excellent conditions, but never had long enough fade ups to ID it...

A lot of the songs on Progreso had flutes in them (or synth flutes), which was a great help. So was having access to their webstream.

I heard it on my Superadio 1, PRD5, and box crate loop.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).