We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MW Mixing Products All Over HF  (Read 2966 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
MW Mixing Products All Over HF
« on: January 18, 2015, 2042 UTC »
Earlier today I had an interesting problem - mixing products from MW stations all over HF. I actually noticed it a few times on the overnight SDR recording as well.  I could not hear them on another radio, so that seemed to rule out them being "real", but instead being something produced specifically by the one radio.

After checking a few things out, I noticed one of the barrel connectors on the incoming coax, connecting two sections, was loose. I tightened it, and immediately the mixing products all vanished. The signal levels went up a little, as well. Perhaps something in the loose connection (dirt, etc) was acting like a rectifier?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MW Mixing Products All Over HF
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 0904 UTC »
Ah, you've stumbled upon the rusty bolt effect :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_bolt_effect

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline 57Hemi

• View Profile
Re: MW Mixing Products All Over HF
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 1215 UTC »
I've had this happen a couple of times over the years. The first time, I thought my receiver had something very wrong with it. Once I calmed down, I retightened all my connections and it disappeared. About the same time, I had a "mystery carrier" in my NRD-515 that stumped me until I checked the interconnect cables inside it. It was just one of the interconnect plugs (really cheap cables with crimped connections!) had oxidized and was causing it. I soldered all the plugs and put De-Oxit on the jacks and never had another issue with it again.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns