We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pips 13559 kHz  (Read 13067 times)

Offline Dag

• View Profile
Pips 13559 kHz
« on: March 01, 2015, 1204 UTC »
Single "dits" or "pips" 13559 kHz nearly and irregularly 1 second apart with the 55th pip being a double pip.
Seminole county, Florida, USA, Earth, Solar System, Universe.Icom 7610 + attic dipole. Black coffee. Ketosis.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pips 13559 kHz
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 1800 UTC »
Dag,

I moved this to the HF Beacon forum  If it turns out I am wrong I can move it back to Mystery.  The ISM band around 13560 kHz has many beacons, some with simple dits, some more complex.  I think I have heard the one you are talking about and it is probably a beacon of some sort.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 0021 UTC »
I heard it this morning and also right now on 13,559.863 with a very narrow filter, here in Southern California. My count today has been 57 dits then a double which is at the 60 second mark.

Maybe the count of when the double dit  occurs varies based on some other unknown factor?

Let us know if you can still hear it in Florida.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Dag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 1021 UTC »
I still hear it Jim.

At 1021 Z east coast USA, it's easy to copy.

I agree the double pip occurs at the 1 minute mark: an attribute I failed to notice until you described it, but on my two counts this morning, I count the double pip as the 55th.

Dag
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 1038 UTC by Dag »
Seminole county, Florida, USA, Earth, Solar System, Universe.Icom 7610 + attic dipole. Black coffee. Ketosis.

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 2309 UTC »
I still hear it Jim.

At 1021 Z east coast USA, it's easy to copy.

I agree the double pip occurs at the 1 minute mark: an attribute I failed to notice until you described it, but on my two counts this morning, I count the double pip as the 55th.

Dag

Here I am still counting 57 pips then the double at 58 so I hope to record a few minutes of it and post it to YouTube. If you can do the same it would be great!
Jim

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 0512 UTC »
here is what I am hearing in Southern California. There is a double PIP in the first second or two then 57 PIPs and at 1:02 a double PIP

https://youtu.be/DLMZOSGsSv8
Jim

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 1636 UTC »
We should probably note that these dits are not 1 second apart, last night when I looked at it they were 1.091 seconds apart, I have no idea if they always have the same interval or not.  Also, while I have in the past heard the double dit you have discussed, while I was taking measurements last night there was not a double dit at all during an 8 minute period.

T!
T!

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 1718 UTC »
Agree on timing as there would be exactly 60 PIPs in 60 seconds if they were on second each. Maybe you and Dag and I need to log exact times and see if somehow this signal's timing varies across 24 hours. Last night when I made the video it was the same as other times I have observed in the morning and midday but I should now start logging exact times. I've also been watching my waterfall display on the PX-3 to see if any other artifacts arise.

In my truck I have a Yaesu FT-857D HF transceiver with the ATAS-120 screwdriver antenna (not a great antenna but okay). Yesterday morning in my driveway I heard this signal quite well and as I drove South about 25 miles on the freeway I heard a variety of other signals come and go on the same frequency.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 2115 UTC by Teotwaki »
Jim

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 0344 UTC »
I'll be curious to see what this thing does during other time periods. Right now at 20:44 local it is still on the same pattern that I put in YouTube. If you make any other observations please note the time.
Jim

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 0406 UTC »
A Russian numbers station was heard on this freq last year

Post #6   http://www.aurfscan.com.au/showthread.php?9499-Cuban-numbers
Jim

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 1328 UTC »
I have been listening and counting pips since 06:00 PST and it is still running the same pattern. Maybe there are multiple transmitters and we are each hearing something different?
Jim

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 1726 UTC »
We have a different mystery on our hands but it is not a beacon of the type that we chase. What we thought was a PIP of some sort is part of a larger signal
centered at 13,560 KHz

http://imgur.com/iNMZI5P

When using just narrow CW mode we missed all of the content. The signal was so strong today that I tried AM, FM, Sidebands, digital etc. and then I looked at the waterfall display and understood

When we tuned lower than the center frequency we only picked up what seemed like a 1 second PIP
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 2056 UTC by Teotwaki »
Jim

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 1652 UTC »
I never used just narrow CW mode to look at this signal.  Rather, the demodulation mode might be narrow CW, but since pretty much all I use for this kind of monitoring is SDR I have always seen that wider signal you are talking about, I just never mentioned it because I assumed everyone else was seeing / hearing it also.  I think you are seeing multiple signals, not just a single one.  The wider signal you are showing there goes away for me around sundown, while the ditter stays in there a while after the wider one goes away.  13560 kHz is smack in the middle of an ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical) band.  These are regions where there are all kinds of mystery signals, pretty much any device that must radiate for non-communications purposes is a candidate for these bands.  For example, some (not all) RFID tags and readers work at 13560 kHz.  I have seen laser pumps and modulators at that frequency (and similar ISM bands).

Signals seen here might be local, or might be DX, for example I traced down one particular 13560 kHz signal to a local retail store, it is part of their inventory control / shoplift detection system at the door of the store.

T!
T!

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 1838 UTC »
I never used just narrow CW mode to look at this signal.  Rather, the demodulation mode might be narrow CW, but since pretty much all I use for this kind of monitoring is SDR I have always seen that wider signal you are talking about, I just never mentioned it because I assumed everyone else was seeing / hearing it also.  I think you are seeing multiple signals, not just a single one.  The wider signal you are showing there goes away for me around sundown, while the ditter stays in there a while after the wider one goes away.  13560 kHz is smack in the middle of an ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical) band.  These are regions where there are all kinds of mystery signals, pretty much any device that must radiate for non-communications purposes is a candidate for these bands.  For example, some (not all) RFID tags and readers work at 13560 kHz.  I have seen laser pumps and modulators at that frequency (and similar ISM bands).

Signals seen here might be local, or might be DX, for example I traced down one particular 13560 kHz signal to a local retail store, it is part of their inventory control / shoplift detection system at the door of the store.

T!

So far I have always seen them together but I've not monitored 24/7 yet and am open to the possibility. What is telling is that you, Dag and I are hearing different things in different locations: I always hear the double dit on 58th PIP no matter what time of day, Dag always hears the 55th as a double and you have heard no double dit late at night.

So, I am still doubtful that there is one beacon broadcasting one pattern to all.
Jim

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 2143 UTC »
Would be interesting to see if shortly after sunset you see a change in what is present.  Do you ever get in #wunclub?

T!
T!