We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SNF (Smooth Noise Floor) Feature on SdrDx  (Read 3817 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
SNF (Smooth Noise Floor) Feature on SdrDx
« on: April 14, 2015, 0054 UTC »
A note for other SdrDx users: I finally decided to give the SNF feature a try bas on the suggestion of the author, and wow, it is amazing. Even with t-storm static, it pretty much completely eliminates the horizontal lines you see across the waterfall when there's a burst of static.

I'm using these settings: 500 for Noise Floor Smoothing and 162 for Noise Floor Threshold.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Evil Elvis

• Disgraceland
  • On the banks of the mighty Wolf River
    • View Profile
    • SWLDX.US
    • Email
Re: SNF (Smooth Noise Floor) Feature on SdrDx
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 0423 UTC »
Nice Chris. Just got the shack cleaned out and everything set back up and SdrDX running on the NetSDR. I will give this a try.

Also, I replaced the Thunderbolt reference with a Bodnar GPS Ref and am very pleased. No more noise in LF and the reference is lock solid.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 0425 UTC by Evil Elvis »
Evil Elvis, western Tennessee east of Memphrica
Icom IC-705, IC-7200, IC-7300, IC-7610, IC-9700
WinRadio G33DDC, Perseus, RFSpace NetSDR, SDR-IQ, SDR-14, Kiwi, 4x Airspy HF+ Discovery, ELAD FDM-S2
Wellbrook ALA100LN, ALA1530LNP Imperium, Bushcomm BBA-1KD

Old School: No remote SDRs, all my receivers, my tenners.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns