We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ARCHIVES-"CCAT-Canadian Club Radio" 1985  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
ARCHIVES-"CCAT-Canadian Club Radio" 1985
« on: April 18, 2015, 1352 UTC »
I received this Polaroid photo of the CCAT transmitter setup back in the mid 1980's and thought I would share it here. I can't find the personal letter QSL it came with, but my recollection is that the op also announced using the call letters COAX and used a snail mail address in Toronto. Does anyone else remember this one or have any other information? I would be interested in hearing anything about this Canadian operation!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: ARCHIVES-"CCAT-Canadian Club Radio" 1985
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 1636 UTC »
I checked my QSL collection, and I have a similar photo, along with the cover letter:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ARCHIVES-"CCAT-Canadian Club Radio" 1985
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 1934 UTC »
Very nice Chris! My QSL letter is still to be found, but my recollection is that it had much the same information as your's. I recall that the initial broadcasts were done using the COAX call letters, and a subsequent transmission I heard was indeed as CCAT-Canadian Club Radio. The operator was bummed out after a lady friend had broken up with him and was lamenting the fact with a number of F-bombs during the broadcast...
Now why did I throw away all those hundreds of cassette tapes I recorded during the 1980's... >:(
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns