We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief LeBlanc's goal of "No Pirates"  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
“We need to think about when we take action that [the pirate] is actually off the air and things to prevent pirates ever getting on the air. We want to get to a world where there are no pirates on the airwaves..."

http://www.radioworld.com/article/leblanc%E2%80%99s-goal-is-no-pirates/275622%20

[IF this was an actual goal, why not allow indiviuals to apply for AM/FM/SW licenses, rather than no AM/FM applications currently being ACCEPTED & SW being more lawyer time & money than the physical construction co$t$??? I know the answer, NAB corporate whore$?]
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief LeBlanc's goal of "No Pirates"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 1839 UTC »
The NAB has been a staunch critic of the LPFM movement since day one.  They see anyone outside of their represented stations as unfair competition for their advertising revenue, even if said competition sells no advertising.  The NAB is also the reason many of the rules treat legal LPFM's as second class citizens on the dial.  Nothing like getting the community behind you to raise funds and build a station, only to have some rim-shot guy complain and force the FCC to make you move.

With the amount of lip-service coming from the commission these days, I can't help but think it's just that.  They are facing shrinking funding, and an ageing industry with fewer resources.  It sure sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

My advice to any would-be pirates and existing ops out there who may see the current predicament as an opportunity; keep your nose clean.  Enlist the help of knowlegable people in the broadcasting community if you can.  Many current engineers in radio were once pirates, its how they learn :)  Do you research and be sure your not creating a problem for anyone else in the spectrum.  In cramped areas like the east coast, this can be a challenge, as the FCC has sold the licensed spectrum three times over and everything is shoe-horned in. 
Don't buy one of these CZH wonders off ebay and feed it into a 1KW amp and not expect problems.  This is even more true when you see these setups in densely populated areas with low antenna heights.

The industry is expecting a pirate free-for-all, and I seriously doubt anything resembling such will occur.  Times have changed, and with everyone carrying smartphones these days, I would expect a radio app tied to some small minority group in a large city to be much more effective and cheaper to run than some 300W FM signal.

Time will tell...

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 0018 UTC »
For millionth damn time, pirates are not making rampant interference. Many always check to make sure they don't interfere with any station.

These scare tactics of making it seem they are really cracking down won't work. We know your budget is non existent. Worry about the internet neutrality.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 0555 UTC »
Although from an engineering standpoint, the recent article about a station on 101.5 in NJ receiving interference from a pirate on 101.3 is about the most credible report of a pirate causing interference to a legit station I've heard in a long time.  It can happen.  Like I've said before, most of the people that build these things don't have a lot of technical knowledge of putting a signal on the air, and usually this is reflected in things like coverage and audio quality.

BTW, I've also have a goal of owning most of Pennsylvania, but I doubt that will work out either ;)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 1507 UTC »
Hahah true, that WKXW story does point out that some pirates certainly interfere with legals. But, still, those sort of cases are usually few and far between.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns