We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Indiana radio station hacked by Anonymous  (Read 33122 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
Indiana radio station hacked by Anonymous
« on: July 15, 2015, 1615 UTC »
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – An Indiana radio station was apparently hacked Sunday evening.

If you were tuning in to WXXR 97.3 in Terre Haute, you might have heard a message from “Anonymous.”

“Anonymous” is an activist group that hacks websites, to express their views and messages.

Around 7:30 p.m. Sunday, the FM signal was intercepted and a broadcast message intended for the American people played. It broadcasted for 30 minutes, then returned to the music playlist. Station officials say, they’re just thankful the music was turned back on.

Doug Kirkman, with WXXR spoke with News 4’s sister station, News 10. Kirkman stated, “We are unaware of where the broadcast origin is. It did actually appear to be coming underneath our actual signal. When we looked at our computers and everything at the broadcast station, everything appeared normal though it was quite obviously not normal.”

The radio station is investigating this hacking.

Source: http://wivb.com/2015/07/13/indiana-radio-station-hacked-by-anonymous/
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana radio station hacked by Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 1731 UTC »
Still not as cool as the Max Headroom hijacking.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline William Hassig

• DXing Phenomena
  • Mt. Prospect, IL 60056 USA
    • MSN Messenger - williamhassig@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 0149 UTC »
The "Max Headroom" hackers did it by overriding the microwave STL for both WTTW Ch11 (PBS) and WGN-TV Ch9 (CW?). They both have their studios on the north side of Chicago and their transmitters on either the Hancock or Sears buildings. Ch9 was able to switch to a different STL freq but Ch11 was stuck with it. This info I got from a website several years ago. I don't remember which one. Before that WLS AM890 was hacked in the same way by somebody in a car. They immediately switched to Telco land lines.
Drake R8, Kenwood R-2000, Panasonic RF-4900, Sony 2010, Realistic DX440, Grundig Satellit 500, 7mhz backyard dipole, Mt Prospect, IL 20miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago. I have been using online receivers because of strong data hash interference in my neighborhood that I believe is caused by Uverse squeezing up to 100mb/sec through ordinary pairs of wires. I don't have Uverse but neighbors do. williamhassig@yahoo.com

Offline ecal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 0204 UTC »
So interesting. I never heard about this. Thanks for sharing!

Offline shadypyro

• British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 2254 UTC »
Oh wow, that is pretty interesting.
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline CellrDwellr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 0811 UTC »
Never did find out about how the Max Headroom hijack was pulled off, thanks for the info William!