We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: China's new 500 metre Aperture Spherical Telescope  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
China's new 500 metre Aperture Spherical Telescope
« on: July 30, 2015, 0327 UTC »
China is building the world’s largest radio telescope in Guizhou province, south west China.

Construction for the Five hundred metre Aperture Spherical Telescope, shortened to FAST, started in March 2011. The project is now expect to be completed by September 2016.

The gigantic radio telescope will cost approximately 1.2 billion Yuan (£120 million), making it the biggest astronomy project China has ever had. 
It will allow scientists to get weaker radio signals from outer space, even further than our solar system, reported People's Daily Online.

Read more at:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-3177487/China-building-world-s-biggest-radio-telescope-s-equivalent-30-football-pitches-listen-UNIVERSE.html
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: China's new 500 metre Aperture Spherical Telescope
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 1745 UTC »
Using Arecibo as a back-sight, with HAARP and the new "telescope" in Hawaii as wave guides, FANCO has checkmated the Chinese project before it's activated. You don't have to thank us, just send cash.

It's going to be Slim Whitman 24/7 for our Chinese friends.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 0024 UTC »
Mr. Pigmeat and Mr. Fansome....I'd like to put in an early request...how about "China Girl" by David Bowie? 8)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 0040 UTC »
The gigantic radio telescope will cost approximately 1.2 billion Yuan (£120 million), making it the biggest astronomy project China has ever had. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTUrdizRZyw
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 2118 UTC »
Mr. Pigmeat and Mr. Fansome....I'd like to put in an early request...how about "China Girl" by David Bowie? 8)

How about the original by Iggy Pop? Bowie's voice was processed to the tenth degree to get his range down to do "China Girl". Iggy came out of the womb sounding that way. I understand in utero smoking was the method he used.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 0033 UTC »
Tip of the hat to you Mr. Pigmeat for this musical fun fact...I didn't know that Iggy did this first. Of course, I had to google it and it turns out that it was cowritten by Iggy and Bowie, with Bowie adding his vocals to the Iggy version. To top off this excursion into the arcane folklore of music, the Bowie version of this song sported a lead guitar by none other then Stevie Ray Vaughan along with producer Nile Rodgers! OK...crank up that HAARP xmtr and I'll be listening without benefit of the tinfoil hat :o
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 0035 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 1455 UTC »
A new drone video has been released by China Central Television Station showing the latest progress of one of the country's most ambitious scientific projects - a radio telescope the size of 30 football pitches. 

http://english.cas.cn/newsroom/news/201510/t20151009_153311.shtml

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 1832 UTC »
"Football pitches" ??? We throw football's in this country, bub, and don't you forget it. The surface it's played on is called a "field". Learn it, live it, love it.

Fellas, I'm beginning to think Oliver got into this country by tunneling under The Great Wall of Trump. Mr. Fansome, inform the Great Bloviator, we've caught ourselves a live one.

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 2123 UTC »
Haven't seen a wall in the middle of the Atlantic.  :o
Nor any drones that could shoot the plane I travelled in,out of the sky.
But the rethoric Trump is using is quiet something.

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 0306 UTC »
I coulda been a contender, if only I had smoked while in the womb....woe is me
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns