We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: I started college today....  (Read 3035 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
I started college today....
« on: September 02, 2015, 0110 UTC »

My english class is myself and 12 other girls. I am the only male there.

SCHWINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
Re: I started college today....
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 1514 UTC »
A-train you dawg!  Just be careful with that dangling participle...  ;)
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 1743 UTC »
Sounds good. Gals like guys who can speak and read English. Makes us seem slightly evolved over cavemen.

That 1:12 ratio sounds like my high school touch typing class.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 1854 UTC »
That 1:12 ratio sounds like my high school touch typing class.

Gee Lex - did you do more touching, or typing?  :)  My high school typing class was about 50-50 gender-wise.  It's funny, most of us guys considered the class to be a waste of time and accorded it about that much effort.  Now decades later I find that it was one of the most important high school classes I ever took.    Back in the 70s... who knew?
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 2103 UTC »
All typing, no touching.   ;)  There was one other guy in that class, a friend, and we were very competitive.  I think I peaked at 60 wpm, but hobble along at 20 wpm or so now, with lots more typos.

Touch typing was the second most important thing I learned in school.  The most important was learning to read, write, think and solve problems.

The third most important was to pass the dutchie on the left hand side.  I think they were talking about bicycles, I dunno.

(Off-air recordings.)

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 2132 UTC »
I think touch typing should be a required class for college freshmen. When I started school, it was a shock to me when the humanities professors all required class papers to be typed. There were only a few public access typewriters around campus, so my mom bought a vintage 1930s Underwood for me. I had to teach myself how to type, which was a painful process on that old machine. At least it gave my hands a good workout. The typing skills I acquired have certainly helped me ever since.

As far as girls, when I started college the ratio was 9 guys for every girl. Not exactly a prescription for a great social life; we had to import girls from various sources for dances and such. Nowadays I understand the ratio is about 3 to 2, which is certainly a lot better. Luckily I came out well-adjusted anyway.

All typing, no touching.   ;)  There was one other guy in that class, a friend, and we were very competitive.  I think I peaked at 60 wpm, but hobble along at 20 wpm or so now, with lots more typos.

Touch typing was the second most important thing I learned in school.  The most important was learning to read, write, think and solve problems.

The third most important was to pass the dutchie on the left hand side.  I think they were talking about bicycles, I dunno.

Nella F.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 2245 UTC »
Back in 2009 I finally graduated with an a.a. degree & did actually notice going thru diploma ceremonies the ratio was about 90/10 women/men.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 2249 UTC »
Not a lot of women wanted to pursue a career as a clown in those days, Al.

I refused to to take typing in HS. It wasn't manly.

Luckily, being stunningly handsome, I always had a girlfriend to do my typing in college. As a matter of fact, I'm dictating this to a former Miss Taiwan.

Have fun, Atrain.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 2259 UTC »
Have fun, Atrain.

My sentiments exactly...this could be the start of a large, extended family or possibly even an atrain harem! But be certain to do well on the scholastics so as to insure a correspondingly large, extended income. Unlike pirate radio, this has the potential to become a costly endeavor :-*

Atrain kept a rolling all night long
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 2301 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 2343 UTC »
The problem with learning is that once you start it's hard to break the habit.   ???
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 2240 UTC »
Be glad it's an English class and not a jury.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns