We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Plagiarism and fake radio reception reports?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
Plagiarism and fake radio reception reports?
« on: October 03, 2015, 1559 UTC »
A nice article on QSL behavior. I thought is worthwhile sharing.

Yessiree. There are a few DXers out there who in the pursuit of a QSL have the gall to fabricate a reception report. The phenomenon, if it can be called that, is nothing new. It is as old as radio itself.

Why address the subject? Well, a few days back a fellow DXer and free-radio operator called it to my attention. He informed me of an individual who, apparently after reading my blog entry for his station, decided to pass off a reception report as his own. The station alerted me and promptly asked the guy to submit an audio file of the transmission. Guess what? He couldn't produce it.

Wait a minute! He could have sourced the Internet for an audio file and produced a sample, right? It does happen. I actually had one young man do just that. He submitted a file of WWV and CHU on frequencies for times normally not received in his quarter, yet he tried to pass it off as genuine. How did I know it was fake, aside from the obvious physics? The audio file -- stolen from a fellow radio listener -- still had the original Box or Soundcloud name attached to it.

Even with the advent of remote web-receivers some DXers attempt to pass off their home RX  location as the remote RX location. A diligent station engineer/operator will immediately recognise this for what it is -- a bogus or less than accurate report. Why hide the obvious fact? There is no shame in stating the actual RX location, even if it is remotely observed. Simply keep one's home and remote QSLs in separate categories. Be honest.

Now, it is possible to submit a reception report to a station, honestly believing it is a particular broadcaster. The time, frequency and language of the broadcaster all seem to be the station. Unfortunately after either submitting a report or further listening, usually days later, one discovers the error. It happens. I have done it more than a few times myself over the decades. Yet, I will fess up and duly note my error.

Folks, honesty is more priceless than any QSL, however prized it may be. No DX contest for X number of stations, X number of countries is worth sacrificing one's integrity. Be patient and diligent in DXing. It's like fishing. It takes time, calculation and patience. And the results are far more rewarding when one knows it was a genuine catch.

Happy DXing!!!

T.L. Breyel

Source:http://shortwavedxer.blogspot.com/2015/10/plagiarism-and-fake-radio-reception.html?spref=tw&m=1
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 1607 UTC by Oliver »
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: Plagiarism and fake radio reception reports?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 1640 UTC »
There's one guy in Italy well-known for faking reception reports to North American pirate stations.  I forget the name...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Niel Wolfish

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 2156 UTC »
Giovanni Bellabarba, I think.
Niel Wolfish, Toronto Ontario
niel@ican.net
WinRadio Excalibur G31DDC + Wellbrook Loop

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 2357 UTC »
Giovanni Bellabarba, I think.

If you don't get twenty reports a month from Giovanni, you're not a real pirate.

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 0010 UTC »
The adventures of Baron Munchausen alias Giovanni B. from Bologna.

RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de