We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A Town Is Building a Public Beer Fountain to Attract Tourists  (Read 1918 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
http://time.com/money/4217615/beer-fountain-tourist-attraction/

Zalec, a small town in central Slovenia, is famed locally for the hop farms that surround it in what is known as the “valley of green gold.” Soon, however, according to reporting from the BBC, the town is likely be known for something else: a public beer fountain.

The project, which proponents say will create Europe’s first public beer fountain, gently gurgling local brews rather than water, has no set completion date. Once completed, visitors will pay around $6.75 for 10.5 fl oz, served in a commemorative mug, of one of a variety of locally produced beers.

The cost of the fountain—projected to be about $400,000—will be half financed by the city, the rest covered by private donations, according tot he town mayor Jako Kos. Some locals have grumbled that the money could be better spent elsewhere in the community, but the mayor insists the fountain will draw money-spending visitors. “It’s true the fountain won’t be cheap,” he said. “But it’s a development project, a tourism product.”

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: A Town Is Building a Public Beer Fountain to Attract Tourists
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 1442 UTC »
Ah, the home of Saaz hops, one of the true noble hops. Hops are what give beer both it's bitterness, aroma, important flavor components, and most importantly, it's diuretic effect.

I see a feedback loop coming into effect here. As the tourists drink more, they won't want to wander far from the fountain to relieve themselves. The tinkling of liquid in a fountain seems to have an odd effect on full bladders, they have to be emptied on the spot. Where better than the fountain itself?

It will make for some interesting drunk watching in the town of Zalec.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 1445 UTC »
Good on S(love)nia ;D
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 2141 UTC »
Being from Northern New England...  I had tons of hops that grew in my back pasture...  up the road were tons of grapes... nasty things for wine... 

We all had bathtubs but no running water... but it kept the folks in Mass-hole-chews-nuts happy... and a political legacy growing... thank= G-d that it has died...

To all of those dudes I say....  Screw you...  bootleg booze for the continuance of corruption...

You are gone... down the drain of sewerage...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 2213 UTC »
I see a feedback loop coming into effect here. As the tourists drink more, they won't want to wander far from the fountain to relieve themselves. The tinkling of liquid in a fountain seems to have an odd effect on full bladders, they have to be emptied on the spot. Where better than the fountain itself?

As any beer drinker can attest, you don't drink beer...you borrow it!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 2340 UTC »
They had me at commemorative mug.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry