We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1440KHz Kiribati...  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
1440KHz Kiribati...
« on: April 16, 2016, 0158 UTC »
Has anyone heard Radio Kiribati on South Tarawa 1440KHz rated at 10Kw?  Been looking for this one but no luck so far, I think it goes off air around 1000z Mon-Thu and around 1130z on Fri/Sat & Sun nights.

There used to be a HF link to Christmas Island (T32) but not sure if that is still running, the link station was on Betio, South Tarawa through a monster log periodic antenna on a tower, I know it well as I used to live opposite it in the 1990's.  Was T30JH on amateur bands back then. :D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: 1440KHz Kiribati...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 1513 UTC »
There are a few guys on the BCB Logger site that talk about that station -- no one mentions having heard it. Of course, Stateside, there are domestics on that frequency, but a good beverage conceivably would override them directionally....

I've never tried for the Pacific. Local terrain is in the way. On HF I have a clear shot to the North Pacific and Asia, although MW is still reduced. Only have heard Korea and Japan, and one Russian a long time ago.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns