We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WRMI move from 6915 to 6855 due to complaints from MARS  (Read 7106 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
This morning, I noticed WRMI had moved their 24/7 Brother Stair transmission from 6915 to 6855. I asked Glenn Hauser what he knew about it, and here is his reply, emphasis mine:

Then here`s the scoop from Jeff White as of 1455 UT May 3:

Glenn: 6915 has been replaced with 6855 because of US Army interference complaint.

The MARS guys did not like the competition. Might be a useful piece of information for stations considering any operations in or near that part of the spectrum. They politely asked WRMI to move, I suspect any complaints about pirate operations will be directed through the FCC.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: WRMI move from 6915 to 6855 due to complaints from MARS
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 1800 UTC »
i didnt think WRMI would last very long at 6915 though i remember that i have heard MARS around 6800-6900 at some point late last year.
i got my money on WRMI not lasting very long at 6855 either.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 1804 UTC »
I recall when WRMI first appeared on 6915, someone asked Jeff White why they chose 6915, and his answer was that is the frequency the FCC assigned them. Very strange.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 1457 UTC »
I recall when WRMI first appeared on 6915, someone asked Jeff White why they chose 6915, and his answer was that is the frequency the FCC assigned them. Very strange.

Especially because the FCC does not assign SW licenses, the NTIA does.

Still about four years ago there was a station on 6885 that ran brokered programming.  I wonder why they decided to move?

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 1558 UTC »
Galei Zahal was still using 6885 at that time, Redhat. The Tennessee- Georgia Moving Bible Thumpers decided to do some testing there. They were throwing spurs 40 plus kHz wide on either side of 6885 up the eastern half of NA running 500 kW into the rhombic supposedly aimed at Europe.

I remember hearing what I thought were weak ssb pirates on 6925 for weeks. I finally got clear audio one night. It was the spur of good ol' Brother Ralph tearing Satan a new one on 6885.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 1627 UTC »
I might be wrong but didn't WRMI use 6915khz 15 years ago or so?  Anyway I don't understand why they would even consider operations down in the part of the band... It's almost like a 'graveyard' assignment in the broadcast band.

With the conditions of late I haven't heard WRMI above the noise level (vertical or horizontal) here and I wonder where they are broadcasting to... perhaps the western areas?  Even then its a waste of kilowatts in my opinion. But Bro. Stair(knutcase) has plenty of money from all the 'lost' folks of his 'flock'.

As for MARS... I suspect they have more power to get things done these days because of the changes after 911.  I may be wrong but it seems to me it goes like this;  MARS <> FEMA <> HLS. MARS does NOT deal with the FCC, they have to go with the 'chain of command'.  I had to leave the program for personal reasons awhile after the changes were made solid so I could be wrong.

If I am on chat and I hear MARS operations I generally make their active frequency known but I only seem to hear stations in the 3rd and 4th zones.  As most of you know they generally operate on frequencies such as; 6905.5khz, 6910.5khz, 6915.5khz, 6925.5khz... all the way up to 6995.5khz USB, but this is not absolute.  Lately I have heard a very strong data signal around 6950.5 +/- but I don't think that is a MARS station perhaps a FEMA station or something of that nature.  FEMA has HF nets also and there are some cross operations such as MARS on FEMA nets etc.  'Command' stations may show up on any net at anytime.

Every net has a secondary net frequency which can also be used depending on the real time situation.

One important point I would like to make is this,  do not assume that any SSB signal you might hear is a 'peskie'... listen to make sure what is where, I am sure everyone knows this but I feel it is worth repeating here.  I seldom 'log' MARS or FEMA nets in my paper or electronic log book so I can't give you a list of active frequencies.  My amateur contacts go in the paper log and the 'oddities' such as 'spy' stations (so called) go in the electronic log.

This information, for what it is worth, is given simply to let you know how I deal with certain things at my station.  I have no insider information... what do I know?  I am only JAFO.

NNNN

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 1637 UTC »
I might be wrong but didn't WRMI use 6915khz 15 years ago or so?  Anyway I don't understand why they would even consider operations down in the part of the band... It's almost like a 'graveyard' assignment in the broadcast band.

With the conditions of late I haven't heard WRMI above the noise level (vertical or horizontal) here and I wonder where they are broadcasting to... perhaps the western areas?  Even then its a waste of kilowatts in my opinion. But Bro. Stair(knutcase) has plenty of money from all the 'lost' folks of his 'flock'.

I can't speak for every transmission frequency WMRI uses, but 6915 was always weak here in Denver and this new 6855 one isn't any better. Their broadcasts in 60, 49, and 25m OTOH come booming in. (31m, not so much.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 0132 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 1823 UTC »

I can't speak for every transmission frequency WMRI uses, but 6915 was always weak here in Denver and this new 6885 one isn't any better. Their broadcasts in 60, 49, and 25m OTOH come booming in. (31m, not so much.)

Their official target area is Mexico: http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,27960.0.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 0033 UTC »
This is unfortunate, I guess I'll have to cross 6875 off my op list too :(

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 0115 UTC »
I was the one who called WRMI the night it appeared on 6915. He was a bit surprised we found it within 30 minutes of going on air & a day before it was "official" in their web schedule.

He explained they applied for a 24/7 freq to beam toward San Diego [285 degs] & that's what they were handed by the FCC... I agree it's NTIA turf but that never stopped the FeeCee before...

6915 was hammered by UTEs & a few "protesters" [latter in the beginning]... Seems to me it's a HUGE waste when band shortens up during the day but it is what it is...  :-\

Next stop for WRMI might be ?6770?  :o <-- Catch my drift?

Rafman
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 1632 UTC »
I was the one who called WRMI the night it appeared on 6915. He was a bit surprised we found it within 30 minutes of going on air & a day before it was "official" in their web schedule.

He explained they applied for a 24/7 freq to beam toward San Diego [285 degs] & that's what they were handed by the FCC... I agree it's NTIA turf but that never stopped the FeeCee before...

6915 was hammered by UTEs & a few "protesters" [latter in the beginning]... Seems to me it's a HUGE waste when band shortens up during the day but it is what it is...  :-\

Next stop for WRMI might be ?6770?  :o <-- Catch my drift?

Rafman

San Diego aka Saint Didacus... might as well be Mexico... IMHO

Thanks for all the info folks... But I get a feeling there is more to all this once we scratch below the surface...  Just saying but what do I know I am JAFO  ::)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 1727 UTC »
I've often heard various 80m MARS nets moved to the 69XX range for comms checks and passing some 110A so that might splain some of the digital traffic noted, 110A seems to be more common in MARS every day. Back around 2000 when I was in NAVY MARS we had a pactor system listening 24/7 around 48XX that was great untill the foreign broadcast started in, then you were wiped out.
I always wanted to be able to move that broadcaster but who knew the fcc would step like that at the behest of MARS.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 1730 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 1913 UTC »
Josh... I remember back in the day when I was operating Army MARS and one net we had was on 4030 khz or so and the evening net on that frequency got clobbered by a broadcast from Cuba.  We could complain about it but we knew nothing could be done because it was a Spanish Lady reading off 5 number groups ;-)  Oh the fun we had in the day... <heh>
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 1953 UTC »
There's a FEMA hurricane net for the Southeast that operates around 6917. They set up in April to be ready to go by May. My guess is they're the ones behind WRMI getting the boot from 6915. The hurricane net has been there for at least 20 years, if not more.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 2025 UTC »
Josh... I remember back in the day when I was operating Army MARS and one net we had was on 4030 khz or so and the evening net on that frequency got clobbered by a broadcast from Cuba.  We could complain about it but we knew nothing could be done because it was a Spanish Lady reading off 5 number groups ;-)  Oh the fun we had in the day... <heh>

I remember hearing the conflict as well, although from my point of view, it was the MARS net QRMing the Cuban spy station I was trying to listen to  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD