We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 5205.3 saline Valley ditter strong this morning  (Read 1889 times)

Offline vlfradio

• View Profile
5205.3 saline Valley ditter strong this morning
« on: September 30, 2012, 1930 UTC »
The Saline Valley ditter on 5205.3 kHz is strong this morning and now at 1928 UT in Inyo Co. Ca.

This beacon uses an east-facing Siemens 1.8 -watt solar-panel so mainly morning-only beacon...

CODAR radar QRM as usual on this freq...

73 - v-

Offline mark-n-nut

• View Profile
Re: 5205.3 saline Valley ditter strong this morning
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 1537 UTC »

Was looking for the old Sally signal this morning, which I think may be the same as this Saline Valley Ditter, when I noticed another signal up higher on the Argo screen.  I have it, a ditter every 3.3 seconds, or about 18 dits a minute, on 5207.439 around 1500 utc.  I guess it could be the same one you were hearing and the freq moves that much with temp and voltage changes?  Will have to look for it in the mornings again.

mark-n-nut
R-75
Wellbrook 1530 Loop
Dipoles
QTH - Northern UT (NUT)
DN41af

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 5205.3 saline Valley ditter strong this morning
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 1858 UTC »
The dit about each 3.3 seconds on 5207.44 kHz is a signal that has been discussed on the UDXF group in the last week or so.  If you look closely there is more to it than just a dit, there is also a burst that looks like data right after the dit, and the burst is shorter than the dit.

It has been suggested that this signal looks similar to a couple Chinese data modes, but so far it is not identified.  The signal is present at my location whenever propagation is in from Asia and the Pacific.

Video of the signal here, the CODAR does make it a little less clear.  In the video I start tuned to 5207 kHz, as that was the original reported freq, and then I tune down to 5206 kHz to better show the burst.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXWYxmnN_RU

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns