We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID Boys Voice Phonetic Station  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Northern Relay Service

• View Profile
    • Email
UNID Boys Voice Phonetic Station
« on: January 25, 2012, 1619 UTC »
1610 utc January 25 ,201213.200khz +- usb

I am in the middle of a solar black out here from the storm. Tuning around to see if I can even hear a single station. Come across some military teletype some codar and this.....

Boys voice reading out phonetic letters and #s in long groups ITGWGUX7D6 .

Went to get recorder and it was gone by the time I made it back.

Perhaps a NAMBLA #'s station  ;) ::)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 1646 UTC by Northern Relay Service »

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: UNID Boys Voice Phonetic Station
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 1955 UTC »
He, or she, might take exception to the term "boys voice" ;)

13200 kHz is one of the US Air Force HF-GCS frequencies (any military branch can use it, but it is an USAF system).  The format you describe is roughly correct for an HF-GCS message.  So most likely what you heard was, indeed, an HF-GCS message, possibly what is called by hobbiest an "EAM", or Emergency Action Message (not all coded messages on the HF-GCS system are EAMs, but people tend to lump them all together).  And if this is what you heard the voice was that of an active duty US military member, probably US Air Force.

Other frequencies to watch for this type of activity are 4724, 6739, 8992, 11175, and 15016 kHz, in addition to the 13200 kHz you noted.  Most often all frequencies will be transmitting the same message at the same time, and you can generally find one with good propagation to you.  That is why the system is designed like it is, GCS stands for Global Communications System, and I don't think I have ever been someplace that I could not receive these messages.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Northern Relay Service

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID Boys Voice Phonetic Station
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 1443 UTC »
Thanks Token

Very helpful response . I have not done much milcom listening for a while ,but might have to start searching for a little more.
 What amazes me was that is was during such a bad solar storm. It literally wiped out everything for 24 hrs,not a signal anywhere. Then I heard this and few others when the waves of radiation slowed down.

You are probably right that it was a female voice, certainly had LOTS of punch.But if it is what you suggest then they have lots of good equipment to play with.