We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Confessions of a Pirate  (Read 1339 times)

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Confessions of a Pirate
« on: February 10, 2013, 1906 UTC »
Saw this posting in AmateurRadio.com and thought others would enjoy...

http://tinyurl.com/bkw4nt4
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: aurora6925 (at) mail.com
Icom 756Pro3 rig & 133 ft Carolina-Windom ant
Pittsburgh PA

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Confessions of a Pirate
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 1746 UTC »
Great read, thanks for sharing.

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 1750 UTC »
Thanks for posting the link, I stumbled on it a few days ago but forgot to mention it here.

It was a very interesting read, although I disagreed with the statement of activity levels being lower today. If anything they are much higher.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 0041 UTC »
That was a great read and the comments following were also good for more memories.
My first pirate transmitter was a Knight Kit Phono oscillator. I built it up and started
with the normal 15 foot long wire hanging from the shower and lavatory window of a
trailer park where my parents lived for a short while. All the neighbors listened in around
The park and were quite happy to hear something they enjoyed transmitted by a bunch
of kids. By that time my buddies had joined me as DJ's! The transmitter worked fine but
did not come with a power transformer and hence no isoaltion  from the power line. I got
a great number of shocks while standing on the wet floor.

Everything was fine until I moved the transmitter (phono oscillator) to a different location
which had some woods in the back. There I tuned the transmitter into a 200 foot  long wire
and people from near the trailer court were hearing the signal and turned us in.

No FCC got involved but my early pirate days were over!! I was ordered to disassemble the kit
and I complied. You do comply when your only 14 years old!

Fun times but all over way too soon!

weaksigs

Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!