Technical Topics > Equipment

Optimizing RSP1 reception settings 16 OCT 2023

(1/1)

kris:
      I have paid more attention to my SDR-FE-Play (which is a clone of the RSP1 and recognized as such) and would like to share with you my observations in its best reception settings.
The latest version of SDRplay v1.42.1014 works on RSP1 despite the note about lack of support (Win Vista 32bit). It is important that the installation is performed on a USB port free from the installation of another receiver/program, otherwise the program stops after some time.
  Generally, each of us has different reception conditions, settings and audio listening preferences, but my goal is to obtain the most readable HF signal in AM/SAM and SSB modulation.
 The comparison is the RX-888 receiver under Console v3.3. But to the point:
- RSP1 has a lower signal level by about 1S but also a lower noise floor level by about 15-20dBm, which improves readability
- set the RF GAIN slider so that the yellow "overload" text does not appear
  (is its optimal position for LNA amplification)
- set the optimal reception using "Decimation" (high), which reduces the width of the received HF band and
  protects the ADC from overload, "false birds" disappear
- in the AUX SP window, set the audio bandwidth that is clear to you, it does not have to be the narrowest.
  Although the noise energy increases with the increase in the bandwidth of the listened/demodulated band,
  it sometimes happens that the proportion of the noise level to the level of the listened message improves.
- use the NR and NOTCH functions
These were the obvious intuitive settings, and now the creme de la creme:
- in the RX Control window, turn off AGC which maintains factory settings
- the program allows you to set the AGC gain level, which significantly affects the listening noise level:
in the MAIN window, select SETT.> IF AGC and turn off the IF AGC function. Set the optimal level on the gain slider, listening to the level of the received noise (for me it's about 40db) and enjoy the clear sound.

The presented "setting game" seems complicated, but after these procedures my SDR-FE-PLAY (12-bit ADC) allows me to understand weak and noisy signals that are unreadable on the RX-888 (16-bit ADC).
     A nice surprise!!!
If anyone knows similar tricks for RX-888 and your favorite Console, I will be grateful for describing them!
Console has 5 types of Noise Reduction, but they do not work in AM/SAM modulation.
 They can be used in DSB modulation, but the audio distortion is unpleasant!
Optimizing RX 888 settings in the HF branch was wonderfully described here
https://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2023/09/
I was pleased to find that my actions were consistent with this professional discussion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version