Technical Topics > Equipment

Radio Jay Allen checks-out a Sony ICF-2001 1980 portable!

(1/1)

ThaDood:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Ya know, after reading Radio Jay's review, it sounds like Sangean later copied Sony with their ATS-803A / Realistic DX-440, with looks, feel, and features. Well, I guess Sangean wanted to use what worked. Just my take...
  https://radiojayallen.com/sony-icf-2001-am-fm-sw-portable-a-most-unusual-radio/   

n2avh:
I had a 2010 for a few years, didn't love it after using an FRG-7 for several years but it was hard to travel internationally with that one.  I traded it in the mid 1990s for an SPR-4 which I have never liked and have promised to send to someone who'll like it more. 

dxace1:
As Jay mentions, the really unique feature of the 2001 was the antenna peaker thumbwheel control.  To my memory, this is/was the only portable ever to incorporate this and it is an amazing tool.   All of the criticisms of the 2001 aside, this is a real piece of radio receiver history.  I found mine LNIB and had it gone over by Dom Laven, the expert in 2010 and other SONY radio upgrades.  He installed a LED in the 2001 which really makes a difference, and corrected the issue with lack of contact in the battery compartment.  Having both a 2001 in great condition and 2010 is a real joy.

mbott:
Got 2 of the ICF-2010s.  Wouldn't sell either at the moment. 

--
Mike

skeezix:
I have a 2010 that I bought in April of 1988. Still listen to it all of the time to this day. It will go to the grave with me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version