General Category > Group W Bench

FCC Cancels W6WBJ License

(1/5) > >>

secretlab:
The long FCC process in the non-renewal for cause of William Crowell's ham ticket seemingly is over with the cancellation of his license on 5-5-20. Crowell devoted considerable resources voicing his displeasure (the FCC alleged that included jamming with pre-recorded loops and music) over many years on frequencies used by WARFA, a racially diverse net which refused to 'check him in.'

The FCC decision came in February. Most of the FCC Docket 08-20 is available online.  It's interesting reading.

Docket 08-20 https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/filings?action_offset=0&express_comment=0&proceedings_name=08-20&sort=date_disseminated,DESC&submissiontype_description=REPLY

Strange Beacons:
When I lived on the west coast, I actually was able to tune into the net in question and was an ear-witness to some of the abuse from that guy. It was indeed pretty bad. I don't know much about how the FCC works, so far as enforcement is concerned. But it really surprises me just how long it took the FCC to address that issue.

secretlab:

--- Quote from: Strange Beacons on May 21, 2020, 1550 UTC ---When I lived on the west coast, I actually was able to tune into the net in question and was an ear-witness to some of the abuse from that guy. It was indeed pretty bad. I don't know much about how the FCC works, so far as enforcement is concerned. But it really surprises me just how long it took the FCC to address that issue.

--- End quote ---

Part of the answer I think is that Crowell is a retired attorney who was able to exploit a number of quirks in the 'due process' built into FCC enforcement. That's a protection from abuse by the government and a good thing. But I'm sure a number of FCC attorneys wish he'd pursued another hobby.

One of the WARFA net controls was an elderly woman living about 20 mi. from me. Some nights, it was tough to copy her over the wall of abuse!

MDK2:
It's about time. Just last week I was looking up this guy to see if anything had changed. His license was in a state of expiration going back to 2007, so the case goes back to that date at the latest. The guy must be a sociopath. It will be glorious to have him gone.

I wonder what the lids on 3.840 think? I heard W6WBJ in real time on that frequency a couple of times, apparently they're his kind of people.

Matt_B:

--- Quote from: secretlab on May 20, 2020, 2322 UTC ---The long FCC process in the non-renewal for cause of William Crowell's ham ticket seemingly is over with the cancellation of his license on 5-5-20. Crowell devoted considerable resources voicing his displeasure (the FCC alleged that included jamming with pre-recorded loops and music) over many years on frequencies used by WARFA, a racially diverse net which refused to 'check him in.'

The FCC decision came in February. Most of the FCC Docket 08-20 is available online.  It's interesting reading.

Docket 08-20 https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/filings?action_offset=0&express_comment=0&proceedings_name=08-20&sort=date_disseminated,DESC&submissiontype_description=REPLY

--- End quote ---

Hopefully, this will have the effect of finally shutting this fool up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version