We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KiwiSDR question DRM extension  (Read 1118 times)

Offline liduck

• View Profile
    • Email
KiwiSDR question DRM extension
« on: July 29, 2022, 0151 UTC »
Greetings all!

I was trying to use the DRM extension to ID a station and for a great deal of the Kiwis in Europe, I was getting a message stating the extension was unavailable account of the Kiwi had more than 3 people using the SDR.  Looking at the user lists, it was usually just me and several WSPR-autorun stations.  My question is this, is the DRM extension restriction new?  (Unavailable if there's more than 3 people on the SDR)  And do they take in account these WSPR stations?  I'm ass-suming they're bots and in Europe at least almost every station I visited had at least 2 if not more logged on.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Re: KiwiSDR question DRM extension
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 0203 UTC »
No, the restriction is not new. They have been forbidding DRM on most or all Kiwis unless you are the only user for quite some time. (Note, the restriction I have seen has been when there is 1 or more other user already on the Kiwi.) I assume that this is due to DRM mode being a "resource hog".

WSPR readers are not random bots and are usually put there by the Kiwi owner (in my experience, though I'm not an an expert on that) and thus they can be connected indefinitely, if so desired - sort of "privileged" users.

Not all European kiwis have WSPRs connected. You can try Weston-Super-Mare in the UK, for example, which often (or always) has none.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline liduck

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: KiwiSDR question DRM extension
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 2033 UTC »
Excellent, thanks for the response.  I do love the Kiwi system, but am still trying to learn the quirks.