We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Let's get serious for a moment.  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Let's get serious for a moment.
« on: August 09, 2022, 0225 UTC »
The penguins are getting ready to start their migration back from the Arctic to the Antarctic soon. Are you prepared? Do you have heavy steel helmets to protect your family from low flyers, shot dense enough to discourage the angriest Emperor penguins as they dive at terminal velocity, their dense, hardened, depleted uranium beaks aimed directly at your eyes or the soft spot on your newborn baby's head? (I recommend 10 gauge buck and ball, lead only, from that gauge of gun from any reputable maker, to deal with the death diving baby killers.) On the ground, they're slow, but launching themselves from the water or diving from the air, deadly.

Remember to stay away from any body of water during the migration season. That cute water feature in your backyard could be the death of you if walk out to see what all the noise is? Pierced by a penguin isn't a pretty way to go out, yet thousands perish that way twice a year. Remember to be careful this season, stay away from the water, and look up.

This message is a Public Service Announcement brought to you by FANCO Industries. Producers of Radio's With Knobs. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 0307 UTC by Pigmeat »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Let's get serious for a moment.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 1614 UTC »
I suggest surrounding your yard with trenches. In a pinch, they can be turned into moats. Alligators find penguins delicious.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 0012 UTC »
I suggest surrounding your yard with trenches. In a pinch, they can be turned into moats. Alligators find penguins delicious.

That's no good. There's not enough gators to hold them off. Why, the antenna fields of WRMI used to be full of gators. These day's they're a penguin paradise. Penguins can gang up on gators rendering your moat, moot. Moats create more penguin habitat.

That hippo that was running loose in the swamps out back of Tampa a few years back suggests possibilities. A hippo could trample them to death while scooping the surplus up in it's gargantuan mouth to deal with later.

If penguins ever get established in the Great Lakes, I feel sorry for George Zeller. Hippos won't range that far north, while you can find penguins at the Equator. The Great Lakes are doomed.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 0257 UTC »
If they make it up to the Great Lakes area, I've got a grill & a smoker all ready for 'em. In a pinch the oven can do.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 0301 UTC »
Ernst Shackleton's men were forced to eat them while stranded in Antarctica waiting for Ernst to get back with help from the South Georgia whaling stations. To a man they reported they were the foulest tasting fowl they'd ever encountered.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 0042 UTC »
The penguins at the Cape of Good Hope are being disturbed by what's thought to be a man-made reason. Look for oil prices to spike as they begin to take out tankers passing the Cape from the Mideast, Malaysia, and Indonesia in revenge. We should have never gave up on whale oil for petroleum.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 1727 UTC »
Um... Gettin' back earlier to what Chris mentioned about alligators, wouldn't it be better to eat the alligators? I understand that's some sweet meat there.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 2134 UTC »
The tail is pretty good, we used to eat gator when I went to Louisiana to visit my sister.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 2258 UTC »
I had gator jerky and it tasted about like the typical toy rubber gator.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 2306 UTC »
My one trip to Florida in 1991 was a good one....being a seafood lover, I had to try the Cajun Blackened Alligator tail at a place called Auntie Catfish' on the Atlantic coast. It was very tasty in a reptilian sort of way.....a bit chewy!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 0344 UTC »
The penguins that occupied WRMI's antenna farm in Okeechobee, FL. used Hurricane Ian's winds to lift off for their flight towards Antarctica. The guy wires were so stressed from their roosting the antennas collapsed from the rebound effect of them taking off.

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 0037 UTC »
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2022, 0528 UTC »
Plagiarism! FANCO will take that fraud to court! We've been in the penguin and catfish on a stick business for nearly 20 years.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns