We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Antenna orientation  (Read 2149 times)

Offline silvercreek

• View Profile
    • Email
Antenna orientation
« on: February 26, 2013, 1339 UTC »
Being new at this I'm still a little confused about which direction an end fed 45' wire antenna should be orientated. My current antenna is running N.W. to S.E. With the transformer and coax connection being on the N.W. end of the antenna nearest to my house. The antenna is currently 35' off of the ground. Which direction(s) is this RX antenna going to perform the best at with my ICOM R75?

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Antenna orientation
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 0609 UTC »
It depends on the frequency range you are tuning. 

A 45 ft. antenna will be more resonant at wavelengths somewhere around the 15 meter band -- around there it will probably be somewhat directional off the sides of the wire; but it still will pick up stations from other directions.

For most SW frequencies, your antenna will be fine where it is -- it will tend to be omnidirectional when picking up those longer wavelengths / lower frequencies.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns