We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: silly question  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
silly question
« on: February 20, 2013, 0511 UTC »
This is a stupid question, but I can't find it in a manual or by trial and error.  A ways back in another thread, someone mentioned hitting the attenuator button on a DX-398 to help with severe, 40kHz+-wide station splatter.  I'd love to... but where the heck is the attenuator button on a DX-398?  I've tried just about every key, nothing, and I can't see my keypad and dial labels, so I can't just look at the thing.  Help, somebody with eyes and a clue? 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: silly question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 2217 UTC »
Here is a URL for the RS-DX398 Manua:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc66/66340.pdf  (Be patient, it's a PDF file about 46 pages long.)

You do have the Wide/Narrow switch and the RF Gain Control, which can be used like an attenuator.

Hope that helps a bit...   ...Steve
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: silly question
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 0611 UTC »
The attenuator is not a button.  It's the rotary RF control on the upper left corner of the radio.  Turn it back and it decreases the signal strength coming into the radio.  Turn it full up (past the click noise) and there's no attenuation.

PS -- if you're talking MW here, and using an external loop, moving the radio away from the loop will improve selectivity, and might cut down on adjacent channel splatter.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 0620 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).