We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Tufts University ranks Cheerios as healthier than beef  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Dag

• View Profile
Tufts University ranks Cheerios as healthier than beef
« on: August 21, 2022, 1010 UTC »
Tufts University "Food Compass" shows Cheerios with a score of 95 (very healthy) and beef scoring at a horrid 33.
Higher score: healthy.
Lower score: bad for you so say the experts. Experts?

https://sites.tufts.edu/foodcompass/research/data/

Seminole county, Florida, USA, Earth, Solar System, Universe.Icom 7610 + attic dipole. Black coffee. Ketosis.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tufts University ranks Cheerios as healthier than beef
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 2017 UTC »
Some years earlier, also from Tufts:

https://phys.org/news/2005-08-published-false.html

Study: Published research often is false

A recent study suggests false findings are often evident in published modern research.
John Ioannidis of Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and the University of Ioannina's School of Medicine in Greece said, "There's increasing concern that in modern research, false findings may be the majority or even the vast majority of published research claims."

I'm guessing Ioannidis' study was a pre-emptive strike on what he knew would eventually emanate from his employer.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 2019 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 0007 UTC »
Some years earlier, also from Tufts:

https://phys.org/news/2005-08-published-false.html

Study: Published research often is false

A recent study suggests false findings are often evident in published modern research.
John Ioannidis of Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and the University of Ioannina's School of Medicine in Greece said, "There's increasing concern that in modern research, false findings may be the majority or even the vast majority of published research claims."

I'm guessing Ioannidis' study was a pre-emptive strike on what he knew would eventually emanate from his employer.  ;D

Hot air?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 1246 UTC »
These studies are often funded by food companies interested in selling you their overly processed garbage. 

Even 50 years ago they were doing this: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

Follow the money.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 1853 UTC »
Ahhh science to an agenda. You will eat the bugs and enjoy it!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 0143 UTC »
These studies are often funded by food companies interested in selling you their overly processed garbage. 

Even 50 years ago they were doing this: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

Follow the money.

I follow it, but I can't seem to catch it.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 1643 UTC »
This fits under the "water is wet" category of surprise.

As an aside, it's not logical to assume industry is behind all this. One has to show that's the case in every case. Skepticism is healthy, but automatic suspicion is cant.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 2345 UTC »
Back in the 1970s-early '80s when I was in the Navy I was fortunate to have a job that included low level assistance to some researchers for the NIH, Walter Reed and national and regional Naval hospitals. We Corpsmen and Army medics mostly did grunt work per specs given by the researchers: inject this in test subjects, draw blood or other fluids for that in test subjects, prep lab specimens, etc.

It gave me an appreciation for how meticulous and ethical research should be, and usually is.

But I've learned to be skeptical about some biased agendas foisted off as "research" regarding diet, some pharmaceuticals and, more recently, viruses. I would have thought we'd have learned something from the first SARS pandemic in 2004, but some of the utter hogwash and politically loaded nonsense published on some formerly reputable sites, including PubMed, has triggered my journalist's instincts to check the credentials and backgrounds of any researchers before passing it along to friends or family.

And I'm skeptical of any dietary claims or recommendations that don't include genetic profiles. For better or worse, humans tended to "evolve" to adapt to the predominant available diets in their regions. If they couldn't adapt and thrive, they didn't pass along their genetic material. While interbreeding has lent more adaptability to many of us, it's still not a factor for much of the world. But genetic profiling to identify optimal diets would likely meet with obstacles nowadays, so most of us must get along by trial and error, finding diets that suit us best.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 1318 UTC »
This is the kind of dangerous nutritional advice lobbyists can buy:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 1914 UTC »
Without a source, it's hard to confirm the validity of either the data or the claim that its bought and paid for.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 0058 UTC »
And Tufts is Division III so.......
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 0244 UTC »
True story: I eat Cheerios without milk all the time as a morning snack while working. They're good and, relative to most cereals, they're not too processed.

I can't speak to their relative health or tastiness compared to beef, however, as I gave that up in my 20s. Lest you think I'm some health nut, I keep a private supply of chocolate chip cookies in my closet (where my kids can't find them), and I'm about to sip some after-dinner whiskey.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 2319 UTC »
True story: I eat Cheerios without milk all the time as a morning snack while working. They're good and, relative to most cereals, they're not too processed.

I can't speak to their relative health or tastiness compared to beef, however, as I gave that up in my 20s. Lest you think I'm some health nut, I keep a private supply of chocolate chip cookies in my closet (where my kids can't find them), and I'm about to sip some after-dinner whiskey.

After-dinner whisky is a good thing. If I had had a ton of money, I could have hauled a lot of bourbon home with me when I visited Kentucky the summer of '22. Every exit seemed to be advertising a distillery you could visit if you took it.
Denver, CO.