We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1978 "PEEWEE" STATION | The MICRO-BROADCASTERS COMMUNITY Forum?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1978 "PEEWEE" STATION | The MICRO-BROADCASTERS COMMUNITY Forum?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 2013 UTC »
That's from my post. That article had been published in several Indiana papers in the first week of August 1978. In some the story was truncated but otherwise identical. However found one small bit of additional info in one of the shorter versions of the story ( his "radio tower" was in his back yard.. which I suspect had to be a whip and mast Audio-Sine p15 transmitter) along with a picture of 16 year old Jamie in his basement studio in the Tipton County Tribune, Aug 2, 1978, Page 6 (shown below). I tried to find out whatever became of the issue but found no further mentions of WGRU at all.

Download for better resolution of the above article:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao8bgXgwfeXVaYxlJZhdiWh8xPk
For a longer version click the link in the Doods post above
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 2033 UTC by tybee »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 1833 UTC »
Dude, that is just too freakinī cool! BTW, you did this station at about the right time. Back in 1978, the only things that Iīve heard the FCC go around and chase regularly were high-powered and foul-mouthed CBīers. It wasnīt until the 80īs that I remember hearing about the FCC going hard-core on suspected pirate operations. Today, they wouldnīt hesitate to pay a station a visit, since it would possibly turn into a multi-thousand dollar fine to throw at it, if it wasnīt considered legit. Ever made any off-air recordings of that? Anyway, THANKS for sharing that! 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 2038 UTC »
Dude, that is just too freakinī cool! BTW, you did this station at about the right time. Back in 1978...  ...Ever made any off-air recordings of that? Anyway, THANKS for sharing that!

I'm a little confused Dood; Did I make recordings of what? Are you thinking I was the one with the 1978 station? - Not at all, it's just an old article I pulled up!

What I said was I was the one who posted it at  the mbcf site.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 2040 UTC by tybee »

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 0312 UTC »
Not the one I was looking for but here's another part 15 AM peewee station that made the news in the 1940s, compliments of a phono-ocilator..
The_Herald_Press_Sat__Feb_5__1949_

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 1821 UTC »
Oooops... My bad... But, neat that you have that article to share on here. Still, thatīs cool!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 0139 UTC »
That's a young looking 16 y.o. When I was 16 I had a mustache and sometimes a beard. As the lady at the
store said, "Old enough to grow a mustache, old enough to buy beer." Legal age was an ancient 18.     

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 0214 UTC »
Ahh, teenage dreams, I wonder what happened, if this guy ever got into commercial radio or TV, or some other job in the industry?

That's a well equipped radio station, good chance he stayed in radio, but a pro might not like to talk about his origins. I found out that Rush Limbaugh had a Peewee station, but only heard about it after he died.
K-Bear Radio

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2023, 2010 UTC »
I was on the "Allan Handleman Show" more than 20 years ago w/ writer Andy Yoder and another SW pirate whose on air name escapes me. Handleman mentioned on the show about his early days as a pirate. You've got to get those first airchecks from somewhere.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns