We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A "?"  (Read 1822 times)

UncleJohn

A "?"
« on: August 29, 2022, 1826 UTC »
According to BBC's "Global Short Wave Frequencies"..."from 27 March - 29 October 2022" during 15-1900 GMT is a xmit To "Middle East & Gulf States, Daily on frequency 12025 kHZ", yet, for some reason that signal reaches moi's qth every day with a very decent signal, though it degrades hourly. Anybody know the origin of the xmit. location or how's come that signal reaches my neck of the woods?
                                    (Used to be I heard xmit.'s from AIR via the North Pole but this 12.025 mhz. has me stumped).

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Re: A "?"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 1919 UTC »
I can also hear the BBC on 12025 kHz quite well here in the mornings. Short-wave.info says the TX is in Kranji, Singapore.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

UncleJohn

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 0016 UTC »
   O.K. Josh, Looky Heah, I, more or less, know that this "SDR" thingy can "enable" one to hear broadcasts via the Internet, where as me has no internet @ my QTH (I'm @ the library) I use Only an actual copper wire (insulated) antenna to actually catch signals through the actual atmosphere of Earth. So as an aside rhetorical ? what's the fun in using the internet to hear stuff if you can't "catch" the signal Ye Olde Fashion Way"? If ya git my drift?   8)  On the other hand, I suppose:
                                                                    Oh, like www.radio.garden 
                                                                 ::) Yeah, how cool is that?!  ::)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 0640 UTC »
According to Short-Wave.info the transmitter is in Kranji, Singapore, 250 KW, azimuth 320 degrees, in other words, you're getting them off the side of the beam, which has next to nothing but Pacific Ocean between it and you in the PNW, thanks to the Asia pipeline.

When prop's in decently, the 25 Meter Band can cast signals a long ways.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 0014 UTC »
What I intended to infer was use the tdoa method to see where the tx site is located. Being able to hear a hf tx beamed somewhere far away from you is quite normal especially considering the massive antennas and hundreds of kw often employed. Kinda like how I often have listened to dx HAMs working other dx HAMs, even low power can cross the globe easily if the prop gods are willing.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 0112 UTC »
Now that we live in the time of the Divine Fansome all sorts of dx is possible for those who believe and use real radio's with knobs.

UncleJohn

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 0030 UTC »
What I intended to infer was use the tdoa method to see where the tx site is located. Being able to hear a hf tx beamed somewhere far away from you is quite normal especially considering the massive antennas and hundreds of kw often employed. Kinda like how I often have listened to dx HAMs working other dx HAMs, even low power can cross the globe easily if the prop gods are willing.

OK no biggie...but seriously almost ALL digital references are above my experience as far as radio reception goes. If you want to pls. explain "tdoa"...OHHHH, I just now (& I do mean now just went to wikipedia & typed in "tdoa" & up pops "Time of Arrival". Will be printing page (& looks like a link or two) & hopefully will broaden my meek understand. Thanks.

UncleJohn

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 0033 UTC »
Now that we live in the time of the Divine Fansome all sorts of dx is possible for those who believe and use real radio's with knobs.

Gotta Say Thanks!
                                                                            8)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 0636 UTC »
All jests aside, instead of using an online direction finder, it's probably easier to just look at schedules, and then look at a world globe to determine the chances of whichever station may be hitting your antenna, taking the daylight/nighttime conditions into account.

These days there are so relatively few SW broadcasters out there it's not that difficult to at least pin one down as a tentative.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2022, 1105 UTC »
See here;
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/kiwisdr-tdoa-direction-finding-now-freely-available-for-public-use/

Not a good time to be a pirate.

The KiwiSDR TDoA capability is vastly overrated. It's good to within a hundred miles or two if you're skilled in selecting receivers around the target location. Which means you need to already have an idea where the station is. Useful if you want to know of a transmitter is in say Virginia or Montana, but it's not going to give you the zip code.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 1552 UTC »
See here;
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/kiwisdr-tdoa-direction-finding-now-freely-available-for-public-use/

Not a good time to be a pirate.

The KiwiSDR TDoA capability is vastly overrated. It's good to within a hundred miles or two if you're skilled in selecting receivers around the target location. Which means you need to already have an idea where the station is. Useful if you want to know of a transmitter is in say Virginia or Montana, but it's not going to give you the zip code.

Which is fine by me.

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 1627 UTC »
UncleJohn, I'm not too far away from you (I'm in Lake Stevens), and the BBC comes in well on both 12025 and 12095 kHz (12095's not in English) in the morning this time of year from the Singapore relay station.

I also heard Adventist World Radio this morning from Sri Lanka on 11955 kHz, which certainly is not aimed at us, either. If you're anywhere the U.S. West Coast, it's amazing how many Asian and Oceania signals we can pick up on fall and winter mornings.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

UncleJohn

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 2355 UTC »
UncleJohn, I'm not too far away from you (I'm in Lake Stevens), and the BBC comes in well on both 12025 and 12095 kHz (12095's not in English) in the morning this time of year from the Singapore relay station.
I also heard Adventist World Radio this morning from Sri Lanka on 11955 kHz, which certainly is not aimed at us, either. If you're anywhere the U.S. West Coast, it's amazing how many Asian and Oceania signals we can pick up on fall and winter mornings.

"Hey Hey" fellow PacNW SW Listener, Haven't tried Sri Lanka but will, thanks. You see my Radio Romania post of very recent? The 3-4gmt time slot is quite good, reception-wise. Cheers.  8)