We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Loggings of радиохулиганы stations in European Pirates and Private Stations  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
I have recently been logging the Radio Hooligans (радиохулиганы) that operate from Russia on 2.9-3.2 MHz (with the music stations operating on or near 2995 kHz) here on this forum. I have noticed that there seems to be almost no interest and often I am the only one logging them. In the "about this forum" thread it was generally established that MW pirates targeting a domestic audience are not be logged here (which I think is a poor decision) but it does not look like this rule applies to shortwave stations. However, these радиохулиганы stations are not seeking an international audience and it seems there is no interest outside of Russia. Because of this, I am thinking about not logging them here. Thoughts?
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Online Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Can they be heard direct in Western Europe ?

If even the Finnish DXers are not logging them, there is a problem.

There was something like that with many Greek or Serb stations, not really trying  to get foreign listeners. A part of the Dutch stations are not better, not really trying to speak to foreign listeners,  or even not trying to get listeners, only other stations for QSOs.

The unwritten rule is that we are interested in stations that speak to listeners and are trying to be more than local stations.
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline kobalts

• Near Riga, Latvia
    • View Profile
In most cases, non-normative vocabulary appears there, and there are no indications to address the audience.
Those guys are only satisfying themselves.
RSP1 SDR, RTL-SDR, Tecsun PL-880, Tecsun PL-600
antenas: 6m outdoor signal wire (9:1) 3m indoor noise wire to QRM Eliminator
Composition recognition by Shazam

Offline Ronald_Mullis

• Central Slovakia
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Bike DXer
Those russian freebanders can be received easily for example in Scotland every night on telescopic in the outdoors. They don't give any contact details, only talk in in russian to their friends. It's fun for a DXer to listen for first time but soon it becomes like "heard one, heard them all". Same as Greek or Serbian MW pirates QSOing all the time.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
It's fun for a DXer to listen for first time but soon it becomes like "heard one, heard them all". Same as Greek or Serbian MW pirates QSOing all the time.

I think that you can argue the same thing about many of the Dutch MW pirates. I've heard the endless hours of carousel organ music enough times that I don't bother so much now.

However, this whole "classification" and "determining who is the audience" process is not without complexities.

Here is a hypothetical but yet realistic scenario for you to ponder. Suppose that same Dutch MW station has announcements in Dutch for the first 180 minutes then after that the operator announces in English, "Thanks to Olaf in Denmark for the nice report....", etc. Oh, OK. Now I guess it's legit for this forum? Or am I confused about what report goes where again? And it took 180 minutes of transmission to change the classification. Are we going to have to move a thread that we started just because the op said one phrase in another language 2 hours later?

Is this whole classification scheme an over complication?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 2256 UTC by KaySeeks »
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Can they be heard direct in Western Europe ?

Yes, they usually can be. It seems most people are just not trying to tune to them. Next time I hear one I will check more receivers in western Europe. I know for sure the ones that talk to each other can be but they seem to use higher power than the music stations (always stronger signals)

They don't give any contact details, only talk in in Russian to their friends.

You are right that they don't give any contact details, but they do not just talk to each other. The majority do talk to each other but stations playing music can be found from 2970-3000 kHz. It seems there are usually 1 or 2 music stations per day.
Lucas Bandura
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
 Kobalts and Ronald wrote everything that is relevant.
The presence of Russian radiocholigans in the 100m band is a fact. This is the "old generation",
 their homophobic behavior is the result of shaping society in a regime where everything new must be feared because you are under control, cultural isolation and language barrier.
 Their own backyard is enough for them, they do not look for foreign contacts and they themselves do not want to give anything to the world. Their monothematic issues are boring for us, just like Greek, Serbian and most Dutch. For this reason, this thread is of little interest.
  The young generation of Russians often already knows English, they began to get to know the world via the Internet and travel abroad. They saw a different world that they like, but at home they will not be able to make changes for a long time. Occasional outbursts of young people on HF come with the risk of being punished, or they must bow to the authority or flee from it, as did the Buchta Swobodnych Wołn.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 2230 UTC by kris »
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
The presence of Russian radiocholigans in the 100m band is a fact. This is the "old generation",
 their homophobic behavior is the result of shaping society in a regime where everything new must be feared because you are under control, cultural isolation and language barrier.
 Their own backyard is enough for them, they do not look for foreign contacts and they themselves do not want to give anything to the world. Their monothematic issues are boring for us, just like Greek, Serbian and most Dutch. For this reason, this thread is of little interest.

Kris - you and perhaps Kobalt are the most likely to understand their spoken language. Is what you describe their actual typical content?
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
I said I would check on European KiwiSDR's next time I heard one of the music stations, I am hearing one now on 2985 kHz.

Okay signal (S5 but low noise) in Kotka, Finland.
Weak signal, traces of audio in Ireland
Useless signals in Britain, Scotland, and Poland
Weak signal, some audio in Germany
2247 UTC-signal went off so I cant check any more

Thank you all for your comments, I have decided that радиохулиганы will no longer be logged here. I will add this to Ray's post in the "about this forum" thread. Do feel free to continue this discussion here though, I am also want to see a reply to KaySeeks last comment.
Lucas Bandura

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
I was interested in the stations that operated out of the old USSR when I ran across an internet article about how they would build their transmitters using old TV tubes. Speaking out about anything took guts in the time of Brezhnev. The copying machine was used by dissidents to circulate information in those days. A revolutionary device.

I may be wrong,and I do loathe Putin,but I don't think he has the societal control that his predecessors in the USSR did. It is odd that todays radio hooligans are operating in the same band of frequencies that the old ones did 40 years ago.

When I was I pirate, I was always hoping the FCC and the more stick up the ass hams would refer to us as "Radio Hooligans". Didn't have the guts of the old "Pravda" editorial board I guess?

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kris - you and perhaps Kobalt are the most likely to understand their spoken language. Is what you describe their actual typical content?
Yes, I understand a lot in Russian, although I haven't had the opportunity to talk live for a long time.
100m band RU FB stations talk to each other about radio technology, propagation and weather.
 Politics is not touched unless the operator is drunk, he curses and scolds the rest of the world.
Stations sometimes give the name of the (big) city they broadcast near, but usually only call generic numbers for Russian "rajons" like "tretij" "czetwiortyj". They identify themselves with colloquial names such as "Lesnyj, Szczuka, Silnyj" I do not write Cyrillic on purpose, because their alphabet does not follow Latin letters and has a number of their own sounds / letters that have no equivalents.
 Few stations usually broadcast only Russian music - traditional, popular, folk, national. Operators don't broadcast like Western DJ's, don't give ID, don't ask for reports, they just don't say anything.
 Maybe they are afraid of being identified by voice, or they do not care about contact with the audience.
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns