We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Madonna  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
Madonna
« on: August 30, 2022, 0001 UTC »
I didn't see a thread for Madonna, so am starting a new one. I'm guessing it has been included in the posts that some of our members make when they post all their loggings for the day.

Madonna at 4097.27 ~240 dits/minute at 4:40pm PDT (2340z) on 8-29-2022 Copyable above the S1 band noise most of the time, though occasionally dips under.
Heard on the KFS SDR. Also on KPH, with a similar report.
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline stendec

• View Profile
Re: Madonna
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 1803 UTC »
I could be wrong, but are you sure "Madonna" is not really the Marin Ditter? The long-running Marin Ditter (a fast ditter) was on 4096.85, but perhaps now has drifted up in frequency a bit to 4097.27.

The Marin Ditter, was/is is often heard better on its second harmonic, just like this 'new' ditter is often heard better on 8194.55 kHz

/Stendec
/ STENDEC

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 2349 UTC »
I'm not sure. I just heard it on the KPH SDR, on 4097.27 again, just above the noise. I tried the second harmonic, at 8194.54, and it was coming through a bit stronger. The fact that the second harmonic was a bit stronger does make one wonder whether it is the Marin Ditter.

Do we know for a fact that Madonna is/was a distinctly different beacon, or was there always the possibility that it was simply the Marin Ditter?
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 1620 UTC »
Searching on “Madonna” gets us some hits

Desert beaconeering... alledgedly i can neither confirm nor deny:

Madonna Beacon - fast dasher inyo - sun only 1/3 watt - 4097.23 plus/minus drift Sun angle/etc.

Buddha (once Phallaxyy for a rock formation nearby...) is weak - like 30 mW ERP on 4096.20 or so 3 sec dash - alopng with Coxie drifting JTNBP 4096.0-ish... this was Once Viking...

go figure...

just hear-say and thoughts... Hmmm...

So Madonna is/was a dasher beacon in the Inyo mountains area and sun only. The Marin Ditter is AC line powered in the attic of an apartment building
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 1623 UTC by Teotwaki »
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 0602 UTC »
So Madonna is/was a dasher beacon in the Inyo mountains area and sun only. The Marin Ditter is AC line powered in the attic of an apartment building

Thanks for that Teotwaki.

I have not been actively listening out for HF beacons for long, so cannot tell the difference between some of these "legacy" beacons by listening to them, otherwise I might recognize subtle differences in the speed of the ditting, or even the sound of the keying waveform. I heard what I think was Madonna during daylight hours so, by that metric, it could have been either beacon. However, the beacon I heard was on 4097.27, which is only 40hz from the frequency that MB reported Madonna as being on. For it to be the Marin Ditter, it would have had to have drifted 420Hz from it's earlier reported frequency. Though not impossible, it's quite a lot, for what I assume is a crystal-controlled oscillator - even if there's a fair amount of inductance and/or capacitance in series with the crystal (unless the frequency was altered by human intervention).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 0604 UTC by Dave Richards »
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline stendec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 0107 UTC »
 Dave, Teo

Yes, Madonna it is!  For many months I had assumed this was the Marin Ditter beacon, so thanks for the info.

I note now that Madonna's dit rate is >200 per minute, whereas the Marin Ditter's rate was reported as 60-80 per minute - quite a bit slower.

/ STENDEC

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns