We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Complete Newbie Here..  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Loha101

• View Profile
Complete Newbie Here..
« on: February 24, 2013, 1341 UTC »
Hi guys, having spent the better part of last night scouring the web for information on the cryptic 'numbers stations' I stumbled upon this forum, Which I must say seems very informative. Radio has always fascinated me and I would like to be able to listen to all these amateur/pirate/numbers stations and log them and such but I have no idea of which equipment to get and how to use it. :(
Any tips or websites where I can learn would be greatly appreciated and I hope to begin contributing to this forum A.S.A.P.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 0102 UTC by Loha101 »

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: Complete Newbie Here..
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 1636 UTC »
Welcome! HFUnderground is the right place to be if you're interested in pirates, numbers and other HF oddities. The forums here are quite active (particularly the pirate loggings) and we have also have a wiki that has a lot of information (link towards the top of this page).

There's also a very active IRC channel that we hang out in. When you are logged into the forums, you will see a link at the top of the page "Try the #pirateradio IRC chat". Click that and feel free to say hi to the number of people who are usually hanging out in there. We share loggings and tips in real time.

Also feel free to post any questions you might have here in the forums and you'll find someone willing to help you out. Do you have a radio capable of HF reception?
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Loha101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 1656 UTC »
I don't have a radio but I am using some software called SDR-Radio by a company called RF Space I believe. Thanks for the tips :)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 1739 UTC »
SDR-Radio is software that is designed to be used with a number of different software defined radios (SDR) or to connect to servers that in turn are connected to radios.

SDR radios are increasing in popularity. And radios with knobs are of course still very popular. If you would like some suggestions or hints on a radio to acquire, you could post to our Equipment forum and solicit suggestions based on what you are interested in hearing, what your budget is, and what kind of antenna you could put up.

Good luck and feel free to ask any question!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 1742 UTC by Beerus Maximus »
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Loha101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 1743 UTC »
SDR-Radio is software that is designed to be used with a number of different software defined radios (SDR) or to connect to servers that in turn are connected to radios.

SDR radios are increasing in popularity. And radios with knobs are of course still very popular. If you would like some suggestions or hints on a radio to acquire, you could post to our Equipment forum and solicit suggestions based on what you are interested in hearing, what your budget is, and what kind of antenna you could put up.

Good luck and feel free to ask any question!

Thanks! I will post a topic in the equipment forum.

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 1955 UTC »
You're in the right spot if you want to really expand your knowledge base. Some very very serious DXers here with years of experience in all types of equipment (receivers, transceivers, antennas, you name it). If you want to get down and serious into the radio spectrum and all it has to offer, this is the place! Welcome ;)
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 2123 UTC »
Hi Loha,

Welcome to the forum, there is a great group here with a lot of knowledge.  I also enjoy chasing pirates and numbers stations, unfortunately the later seems to be a dying breed; likely due to advances in technology.  Depending on where you are located, HM01, a Cuban numbers/data Hybrid is very active and seems to propagate well in the the US, at least into NE Ohio, LOL.  I can routinely hear ole Pedro on 11.635 and 17.480 quite strong.  So regular, in fact, that I'm listening to them as I type this, on 11.635 AM, at about s9+40 into my qth.

My best advice would be to construct some type of outdoor wire antenna for the best reception.  Which type of wire antenna to construct is really going to be determined by your available surroundings; but there are usually options to accommodate anyone.  Again, welcome to the board.

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 2307 UTC »
+1 on the antenna.  There are a ton of radio hardware options ranging from under $100 to the sky is the limit, but none are very good without a good  antenna (preferably external) of some sort.  Do some research here and related sites to figure out what kind of antenna might work for you; even if you're in a high rise apartment there are options. 

Once you figure out what kind of antenna will work, then start thinking about receivers.  There's nothing worse than getting a new radio, turning it on, and getting squat  ::)

In the meantime, search around for receivers on the internet you can play around with.  That'll give you a feeling for the kind of stuff you'll be hearing.
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns