We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A Novice and Newby  (Read 3107 times)

Offline silvercreek

• View Profile
    • Email
A Novice and Newby
« on: February 25, 2013, 1407 UTC »
Hello to all and thanks for the opportunity to join The HFU HF Underground Team. I am a novice to SWL and hope to learn and enjoy chatting with you guys. I currently have an ICOM IC-R7100 and ICOM IC-R75 receivers along with a D3000N antenna and an end fed 45' wire antenna.

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A Novice and Newby
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 0250 UTC »
Welcome Aboard Matey!
Just keep your head on a swivel because there are pirates lurking!!

Ar Ar!  :o  ;D
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 0305 UTC »
Welcome silvercreek :)
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 0411 UTC »
Damn! for a novice you have a pretty nice set up. I look forward to seeing you in the chat. Don't hesitate to ask questions of the people in this group. They (we) like to talk about radio almost as much as we like to "play" radio. Welcome.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline silvercreek

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 1403 UTC »
Thanks for the welcome guys. I was lucky enough to inherit the ICOM R7100 receiver. I still don't know much about it or how to operate it completely. I've used it just enough to spark my interest in more shortwave monitoring. Sorry to say I'm not even sure how to orientate an end fed wire antenna. I think I enjoy using the R75 more than the R7100. There seems to be a lot more activity on the R75. As soon as I can get my wire antenna orientated correctly and completely off the ground I'm sure I will enjoy it that much more. I do have the manuals to both receivers. I just need to read and try to understand the terminology better.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 1405 UTC by silvercreek »

Offline kmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 1037 UTC »
What works for me is orienting the long wire so the end, the "tip" is pointing toward North or South. That way the "sides" get East and West- which is where most of the broadcast stations are beaming. Mine faces a sort of diagonal as I can't run it perfectly in a straight line at my location.

GREAT radio to start out with. The worst thing to turn a noob away is a crummy radio, which the cheapest ones are usually the first ones they buy!

Offline olddxer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 0511 UTC »
Welcome aboard!
Anan 8000DLE, Drake R8B, NRD-515, Perseus SDR, a bunch of Hammarlunds, Inverted V multiband dipole

Merohde@columbus.rr.com

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 0522 UTC »
Welcome aboard!  For a newbie, you really do have a pretty great setup.  It's better than mine, much as I like my little DX-398 and loop. 

If you're in need of a fairly reliable schedule to help with picking up your first handful of stations, try www.short-wave.info or the EiBi list at http://www.eibispace.de/dx/freq-b12.txt for current info.  I know the latter probably looks like a *lot* of information, but it can be very useful. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.