We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Easy PAL Digital SSTV help  (Read 5551 times)

Offline hsmith77

• Marconi Class DXer
    • MSN Messenger - h.smith77@charter.net
    • View Profile
    • Email
Easy PAL Digital SSTV help
« on: February 26, 2013, 1522 UTC »
Can someone please help me with Easy Pal? I installed OK but get a error message  saying "No sound [IN ] or [ OUT ] device has been selected . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Seriously computer challenged .
Harry L. Smith
Springfield,Oh.
JRC 535D Perseus SDR   MFJ 959C Tuner /Pre Amp. JRC 545 
RF  Systems MK2 antenna
Grundig G3 / G4000a / 400
QSL to h.smith77@charter .net

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Easy PAL Digital SSTV help
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 0249 UTC »
hsmith61 I wish I could help. Like you I downloaded EasyPal to try and decode Dr. Benway's broadcast the other night. I had the same problems, all I did was close and restart the program and I started to get the decode. I just opened the program again and I got the same messages that you got I also got one telling me that EasyPal was in the basic mode. Again not sure what I did to get it to work, I later Googled EasyPal frequencies and tried to decode something but got nothing.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline hsmith77

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 1713 UTC »
This morning i uninstalled then reinstalled Easy Pal . Was able to decode images on 7173. Don't know what i did ,but its works .  Thanks  for the input .
Harry L. Smith
Springfield,Oh.
RF  Systems MK2 antenna

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 2201 UTC »
Glad that I could be of a little assistance.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 1515 UTC »
I struggled trying to decode Undercover Radio from last night (3/3/2013) but could not get anything to decode. I tried this morning on 7173 LSB with the hams, and got it to work, but the signal were stronger. It does seem to be rather sensitive to signal level and SNR.

I went back to the SDR recordings of Undercover's 2/25 transmissions, and it was the same. I could get the IO and Time markers on the Sync indicator to turn green, and very rarely the Frame, but that was it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 1527 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 1605 UTC »
You need to, at a minimum, assign an RX soundcard device to EasyPal.

When you EasyPal, navigate through the menus as such:

Setup -> Setup c/s-soundcard-PTT -> Soundcard

By default it appears EasyPal will try to grab your default Windows recording device (audio input). If you have multiple sound cards, or like me, you have a radio that connects with USB to the computer and thus appears as a sound device, you need to either set this as your default recording device in Windows sound control panel before you run EasyPal, OR you need to instruct EasyPal to use the device that is feeding receive audio into your computer. It sounds more complicated than it really is.

One definite bug in the EasyPal program is that you will get a very cryptic error, and the program will not start, if there is either NO recording device active in Windows or you disable the recording device. I found this out by trying to start EasyPal before I turned my receiver on (which subsequently appears as my default sound device in Windows).

Otherwise the program will work with the defaults to decode EasyPal transmissions. I have good success with it, but a strong signal (SNR) is required for reliable decode.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline hsmith77

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 1748 UTC »
Thanks for that input . I did that and got rid of the error message for the input sound card . One Q do all the green need to be showing for proper decode. Would think so as i just tried to decode on 7173 and wasn't  a good strong Signal .
Harry L. Smith
Springfield,Oh.
RF  Systems MK2 antenna