We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WQFG689 - The Hudson County NJ "TIS Of Doom" Off the air  (Read 958 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
WQFG689 - The Hudson County NJ "TIS Of Doom" Off the air
« on: September 24, 2022, 2138 UTC »
WQFG689 the Hudson County NJ "TIS Of Doom" is having frequency stability issues... and the transmitter just went off the air. Maybe it blew up? Could we be so lucky? Hoping it stays off the air and we get some pirates on 1710 kHz instead!

Update: Boo - sounds like they are still on the air, but at reduced power.

Double boo - their higher power transmitter is back on the air.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 2152 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: WQFG689 - The Hudson County NJ "TIS Of Doom" Off the air
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 1345 UTC »
It's the first thing you hear when you bring the Kiwi with the Beverage up. Currently they've got a loop running that says their having "technical difficulties". They sound loud and proud to me.

What's happened to the Kiwi w/ the V beam? I haven't been able to access it for the past couple of weeks.

Offline Starbuckin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 0041 UTC »
I've actually been picking that station up here in Central Kentucky for the last few days which is interesting because their license states that they are only allowed 10 Watts ERP.  Hearing them right now on 1710 kHz "This is Radio Station WQFG689 owned and operated by Hudson County New Jersey.  We are currently experiencing technical difficulties.." 00:38 Zulu.

It comes and goes with an UNID station transmitting music also fading in and out.

I worked in Indianapolis yesterday and listened to 1710 all the way Home and heard both those stations coming and going all the way Home except switched to 530 every now and then to listen to the Cuban station.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 0052 UTC »
I've actually been picking that station up here in Central Kentucky for the last few days which is interesting because their license states that they are only allowed 10 Watts ERP.  Hearing them right now on 1710 kHz "This is Radio Station WQFG689 owned and operated by Hudson County New Jersey.  We are currently experiencing technical difficulties.." 00:38 Zulu.

It comes and goes with an UNID station transmitting music also fading in and out.

I worked in Indianapolis yesterday and listened to 1710 all the way Home and heard both those stations coming and going all the way Home except switched to 530 every now and then to listen to the Cuban station.

The Hudson County TIS has been granted a waiver to the power rule allowing them to now use 100 watts. The music is probably coming from the pirate called "Shortwave 1710" (check the North American MW Pirate board for more information).
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Starbuckin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 0103 UTC »

The Hudson County TIS has been granted a waiver to the power rule allowing them to now use 100 watts. The music is probably coming from the pirate called "Shortwave 1710" (check the North American MW Pirate board for more information).

Thanks! I've been looking through it. 1710 is one of if not my favorite freq to listen to.

I'm an old DXer but new to the forum.