We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Carrier on 3526 kHz  (Read 1722 times)

Offline zackers

• View Profile
Carrier on 3526 kHz
« on: March 08, 2013, 1657 UTC »
There has been a lot of discussion on a couple ham radio groups about a carrier that is on 3526 kHz. This is in the 80 meter ham band. I have been hearing the signal here in east central Illinois at night. It appears shortly after sunset here (~0000Z) and fades out here around 0530Z.

It is not actually a constant carrier; twice I have heard it transmit some sort of data mode of a type unknown to me for 45 to 60 seconds, then go back to the carrier. The times of these seem to be random and only once every hour or so at most.

It has been widely reported in Europe and the eastern USA for the last couple weeks. Based on the time of signal loss here, I am hazarding a guess that it is in either the European Russia area or western Asiatic Russia. No one has done any direction finding on the signal yet that I know of. If anyone can DF it or give any signal reports that might pin down its location, it would be appreciated.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: Carrier on 3526 kHz
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 0345 UTC »
I was hearing this on 7000khz last month.  Seems to have moved here now....
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

cmradio

Re: Carrier on 3526 kHz
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 0030 UTC »
Some poor ol' brass pounder croak and fell on his key? ???

Peace!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns