We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FM Dxing equipment?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Grinch

• View Profile
FM Dxing equipment?
« on: October 25, 2022, 1841 UTC »
Just wanted to get a general idea of what type of receivers and antennas, most are using for FM DX?

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: FM Dxing equipment? Antennas, boosters, and used car stereos.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 1932 UTC »
Well, over +30 years ago, I used both those Radio Shack FM beams and a VU-190 TV / FM, VHF / UHF, beams up +40ft on a mast, with a cheap Channel Master rotor. In a rural area, without a local FM station, I was also able to get away with +10dB and +20dB signal booster amps. And, if I wanted sensitivity and great selectivity, and great IMD rejection, I´d buy used car stereos and put them on 12VDC power supplies. Routinely, I was able to RX stations +120 miles away, like Toronto, Erie, Pittsburgh, Clearfield, Williamsport, Syracuse, Ithaca, Cortland, Binghamton, etc. Then, during Tropo´s, Cleveland, Toledo, Utica / Rome, etc. I also DX´ed analog TV stations then as well. So, if you see your neighbors trash a TV antenna, it might not be too hard to clean-up, fix-up, use RG-59 coax, and some of your friends and co-workers might give you used car stereos, since they usually swap-out the OEM ones for name branded after market ones. The old AC Delco stereos did well, as did the Pioneer Super Tuner series. So, there ya go... You could do FM DX´ing, on the cheap. However, with all of those translators littering the FM band today, I see great selectivity as being a better advantage to great sensitivity. Happy FM DX´ing!!!!! 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline M R I

• View Profile
Re: FM Dxing equipment?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 2228 UTC »
Aside from SDR and good antennas. It is very important to be able to have fine tuning and narrow filters. I use a YAMAHA T-85 tuner with 4 filter bandwidths.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline owen81

• Bristol, SW UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 1012 UTC »
Chinese radios based on the TEF6686 Chip are pretty good for FM DX, I think the chip is also used in car radios (which many people swear by fir FMDX) it has RDS which is useful for DXing foreign stations when you don't speak the language. Most of the receivers with this chip available on AliExpress etc have a SMA-F socket for the antenna, so nice and easy to connect a better antenna such as a Yagi etc with some low loss coax.
Tecsun pl660/330, Yaesu ft991a, ICOM IC718, SDRPLAY RSP1A, OCFD, mla30+, CCW V4 loop, Malahit DSP2.

Offline fox558

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 1915 UTC »
I had a Pioneer car radio with a supertuner and it was sensitive and selective on FM. Unfortunately I changed my car and to take out the double din factory radio will be complicated and will leave a gaping hole in the dash. I would also loose my LCD display which is controlled by the factory radio if i removed it to fit the Pioneer. It also has SW on it which was surprisingly good on a car roof stub aerial