We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Cold War Radio history.....  (Read 1388 times)

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Cold War Radio history.....
« on: October 26, 2022, 2058 UTC »
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
Re: Cold War Radio history.....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 2118 UTC »
Thank You for sharing.

UncleJohn

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 0031 UTC »
sno-isle library has three "on order" with "4 holds" (moi is #4). Lookin' fwd. to an interestin' readin' for shore.
                                     ;D  "spasiba"   ;D

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 0127 UTC »
I guess I'll become #5 in the queue at Sno-Isle!

Fun fact: In part due to listening to shortwave during the Cold War years as a teen, I really focused on Cold War history while I was minoring in it at college.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 1640 UTC »
A fascinating time in world history.  Best book I ever read on it was "The Fifty Years War" by Richard Crockatt.   When I moved from Wisconsin to Florida back in 1997 I (regrettably) donated my hardcover copy to my old High School history dept. with about  40 other history books.   When I moved back to Wisconsin a few years later I decided to resurrect my library and looked futilely for years for any copy with no success.   When i read your post I searched again and found it ! :
In Paperback
For $94.95.   "OUCH'!
https://www.routledge.com/The-Fifty-Years-War-The-United-States-and-the-Soviet-Union-in-World-Politics/Crockatt/p/book/9780415135542
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 1825 UTC »
The Cold War was definitely a lively time for SW fans. 24 hours of Radio Moscow World Service (much of the programming was actually pretty interesting). I never heard Radio Tirana. Mostly Firedrake from China. Voice of Vietnam relayed via Cuba.

The Woodpecker. The Buzzsaw. And of course AFRTS, VOA, and the rest.

I once heard some Soviet hams who were transmitting from Franz Josef Land, which is pretty far north. The Americans were all trying to get them in the logbook.

Interesting times.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 1454 UTC »
In Paperback
For $94.95.   "OUCH'!

Only if your silly enough to buy from the publisher.

The Cold War was definitely a lively time

Yeah, but some Cold War events still remain secret:
Official British government documents regarding Crabb's disappearance are not scheduled to be released until 2057
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Cold War Radio history..... Got in late, but got to hear it, still.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 1929 UTC »
I consider myself a late arrival into shortwave listening, Spring 1981. Thatīs when I was gifted a Realistic DX-40 AM / FM / 4 - 22MHz SW, portable. Local AM station was a 1kW over 3 miles away and no local FM stations, at the time. Closest station was a 40M CW neighbor. So, that portable and a 75ft longwire went well for listening back then. However, it was the height of the Cold War era, and lots of stations to check-out. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radioshack_realistic_dx_40_12_775.html
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.