We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FT-243 Xtals  (Read 2910 times)

Offline XEROX

• View Profile
    • Email
FT-243 Xtals
« on: March 13, 2013, 1622 UTC »
Checking to see who is still making these. I see Jan does, for $45.00 + $10.00 S/H
Anyone else?  Looking for 6930, 6940..... Leads?? Thanks! Bart S.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: FT-243 Xtals
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 2237 UTC »
I would check with Jan Crystals.
http://www.jancrystals.com/index.html

Last time I did business with them, they were making something called an HC-17.
It is an HC-6 size crystal (same spacing as FT-243), with thicker legs on it,
so that it will plug into an FT-243 socket.  They were selling for much less than you just quoted... think it was $15-25 each plus shipping at the time.

What you should know is, whatever frequency you order may end up off by a couple kHz + or - when you plug it into whatever transmitter you are using... and, they take a number of weeks to deliver.
They also sold me some of the leg adapters, which I soldered onto some of my own HC-6 crystals to make them fit FT-243 sockets.

You could also change one of the crystal sockets into a socket for HC-6 sizes, on your transmitter.
Or, dismantle an unwanted FT-243, and wire an HC-6 socket onto the top.  I made one of those... ugly, but it works.

These folks have some surplus HC-6 crystals within the pirate range, and they also sell the HC-6 sockets somewheres:
http://www.surplussales.com/Crystals/Crystals-3.html

They always shipped incredibly fast, too.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline XEROX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: FT-243 Xtals
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 2348 UTC »
Poet thanks for all the great info!!! I see that one of my sockets is smaller than the others so it might be for an HC-6. I'll try one of my Drake SW-4 xtals, which are HC-6s I think, in it to see if it is and thanks for the source for surplus xtals!
- Bart