We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDR# Waterfall  (Read 3117 times)

Offline K5KNT

• Ogden, UT USA
    • View Profile
SDR# Waterfall
« on: March 15, 2013, 0305 UTC »
I decided to try SDR# running on Windows 7 in a VM on my iMac.  It seems to be working OK, but the background on the waterfall is yellow. It looks like yellow is a mid-value according to the scale on the right. It goes down to black, but it doesn't show up in the screen shot.  The color change in the background resulted when I switched to full screen mode.  Any idea what would cause this?
K5KNT

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: SDR# Waterfall
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 0456 UTC »
A couple of suggestions.

First select “Correct IQ” in the “Radio” pane (upper left).  This will not do anything for your noise issue but it will reduce the DC bias or LO spike in the middle of your display ;)

Then try adjusting the Spectrum “Offset” and “Range” slider under the “FFT Display” pane (lower left).  I would try the Range slider first, pushing it to the left a bit from where you have it.

Another suggestion, crank up the FFT Resolution (you have it at 2048 in that image, try 8k or 16k and see how that looks).  This will result in a smoother waterfall, with the data less blocky.

It also looks like the switch in resolution when you went full screen messed with the display, there may not be anything you can do about that excpet to not switch resolutions.

T!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 0458 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA