We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KJJR 880/KSEN 1150 DX Test Weekend Of Nov 5th  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
KJJR 880/KSEN 1150 DX Test Weekend Of Nov 5th
« on: November 02, 2022, 1315 UTC »
The Courtesy Program Committee (CPC) of the National Radio Club and International Radio Club of America are proud to kick off the 2022-2023 season with another “Dual DX Test” this weekend.

Chief Engineer Todd Clark will be doing maintenance testing starting on Saturday, November 5th at 12:01 AM Mountain Time (0601 UTC) when KJJR, 880 AM, will be testing on daytime power and pattern. 10,000 watts. Programming will consist of sweep tones, Morse Code IDs, 1 kHz “long duration tones,” etc. The test will last two hours, until 02:00 AM Mountain Time.
Part two of the dual test is the next day, Sunday, November 6th, at 12:01 AM Mountain Time (0601 UTC) when KSEN, 1150 AM, will be testing on daytime power and pattern. 10,000 watts. Programming will consist of sweep tones, Morse Code IDs, 1 kHz “long duration tones,” etc. The test will last two hours, until 02:00 AM Mountain Time.

** Most of the United States will “fall back” one hour into Standard Time at 0200 local times on Sunday, November 6th. This will not affect the test since KSEN is in the Mountain Time Zone. The test ends just as time changes.

We thank Todd Clark for getting the season off to a great start.

QSL INFORMATION
At the station’s request, the Courtesy Program Committee will be responsible for verifying reception reports and issuing QSLs. All reception reports should be emailed to:
dx@highnoonfilm.com

The new QSL rules for CPC-coordinated tests will be in effect for this test. Please read them carefully.
NEW QSL RULES FOR THE 2022-2023 SEASON

DX Tests are arranged by the Courtesy Program Committee of the National Radio Club (NRC) and the International Radio Club of America (IRCA.) Both clubs offer low-cost, online-only memberships. It is appropriate that those seeking QSLs should support the clubs financially. Please indicate in your request which club you are a member of. It may improve the response time for your QSL.

QSL requests for DX Tests where the CPC will issue QSLs must be received within 30 days of the test.
    A brief recording of at least two (2) minutes must be submitted. .MP3, .wav, or .MP4 video formats accepted. No written reports unless accompanied by a recording.

No remote receivers (Internet-based) will be accepted for QSLs. The exceptions to this rule are as follows:

A.) If you constructed the remote receiver, maintained it, or contributed money towards those purposes, you may use it to submit reception reports. Examples would be DXers who built remote receivers in low-noise locations but operate from home.

B.) Internet-based receivers you don’t own are only acceptable if they are more than 500 miles from the transmitter of the test station. You must fully disclose which receiver was used, including its URL. If the owner is known, please provide their name so they may receive credit. Include the distance of the receiver in miles from the transmitter site.

C.) Only one QSL will be issued per DXer, even if they operate multiple remote receiver sites or use more than one remote receiver at distances of 500 miles to receive the station.

QSLs will be issued only after the conclusion of the 2022-2023 DX Season. Generally, this will occur in April. We will send out group emails when QSLs are issued.

Unpaid volunteers perform all work in verifying reports and sending you a QSL. We all have jobs, spouses, kids, and lives. Be patient. Be nice.
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Online osiris

• North-Central PA, USA
  • NOT THAT BUTTON, THE OTHER ONE!
    • View Profile
Re: KJJR 880/KSEN 1150 DX Test Weekend Of Nov 5th
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 1529 UTC »
Thanks for the info. I'll tune in Sunday for sure. Going to be up early anyway to watch the Wallops Island Antares launch.
Antenna: MLA-30+ Active Loop

Loc: North-Central, PA - FN11

I gladly accept QSLs. Please eMail to: teslaintheaether@gmx.com

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 0022 UTC »
No written reports without a recording...  ???
So you think I'm going to lie about it just to get a QSL card from a station I didn't hear?
Wow... just wow.   ::)
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 0123 UTC »
No written reports without a recording...  ???
So you think I'm going to lie about it just to get a QSL card from a station I didn't hear?
Wow... just wow.   ::)

Beleive it or not, its happened..... we've had several people claim they  heard a test with no way to prove it and the combined 100+ years of the test committee members have reason to beleive they didnt

Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!

Maxwells Daemon

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 1854 UTC »
I heard the KJJR test here under much-stronger WCBS from NYC.    Sweep tones and MCW were very clear during quieter parts of WCBS's program. 

Maxwells Daemon

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 1243 UTC »
A cacophony of late night talk shows were piled on 1150 overnight, but KSEN's test was coming through very well by around 0730Z.   A good way I found to make a positive ID was to tune one of KSEN's MCW sidebands as a CW signal using a narrow filter -- better than getting a headache from all the intermixed AM signals. 

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 0132 UTC »
The great Bram Stoker of Radio Azteca wouldn't send out a qsl unless it came with a minutely detailed reception report. In that case you got a rejection card w/o the usual green frog sticker. The rejection cards were always more valued than the confirmed cards.

I always figured BS was a guy who had worked in radio & had tired of sending cards out the weirdo's who were up in the middle of the night on the other side of the continent.

There have been fake qsl's as long as there have been there have been qsl cards and radio clubs. It's all about who has the most of them. 

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 0227 UTC »
I know the guy who used to do the Radio Northern Ireland show that was on WRMI a few years back, and he said that fake reception reports from rude people demanding QSL cards and any swag he had to offer was one of the reasons why he ended up not sticking with it.

I heard the 880 test pretty well here, it was as good as a local station, but it was the usual talk radio crap and I couldn't be bothered sending them a reception report. I listened for about five minutes. It was interesting to hear it rise up when they went 10k though.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns