We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Coming soon, Winter Sporadic šEš Season for 2022 - 2023. And, maybe Tropo, still  (Read 1397 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
November, already, but Sporadic šEš propagation should be showing up soon, especially on CB FREQŽs, then 10M, and hopefully, 6M. There are still a lot of rural highway departments still using upper 30MHz and 40MHz VHF rigs, so you might hear snow plows on-the-air soon. DonŽt forget to check, https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&ML=M&Map=W2LN&HF=N&DXC=ING2&GL=S   for this. However, warm fronts, going to cold fronts, still can make Tropo neat on upper VHF and UHF bands. Neat Christmas, about 6 years ago, I got off work before midnight, and heard a friend on 2M National Simplex, 146.520MHz FM, QSOŽing with stations up by Cleveland, OH, over 200 miles away! And, I was able to hear them in the truck. I then worked a couple of those stations back home on the base. So, yŽall just never know.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline osiris

• North-Central PA, USA
  • NOT THAT BUTTON, THE OTHER ONE!
    • View Profile
Sporadic E isn't one I've confirmed that I've heard. I'd think that 27.025 AM (CB Ch: 6) would be a good freq to sit on given the power that they use. If you don't exactly know what to listen for I'd imagine you might know it if you heard it. Might sit on that in the evening. I hear 11 meters very well on my alpha loop. Just have it pre-tuned.

No stranger to tropo here. Caused issues at work for me more than once then got curious and worked some contacts after some reading about it.

Thanks for the reminder. Gives me something knew to Doc Brown. ;)
Goodies:
* XIEGU X6100 - MLA-30 Loop
* Eton Elite 750 - MLA-30 Loop
* AirSpy HF - qQRX - MLA-30 Loop

Loc: North-Central, PA - FN11

I gladly accept QSLs. Please eMail to: teslaintheaether@gmx.com

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
They also call Sporadic šEš propagation ŽShort SkipŽ, for 24MHz and lower VHF Low band, like 450 miles to about 600 miles, where as F2 is usually +800 miles. Once in a while, an šEš cloud can do Back Scatter, a make an even closer contact, like 100 - 250 miles, possible. But yeah... The CB CH6 ŽSuperbowlŽ is a good place to hang for openings. I like to keep a rig on CH 38LSB. Another thing that I can hear this time of year is a quick burst of Meteor Scatter. Happy DXŽing!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.