We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Spanish-language Catholic unid, 700kHz, above WLW!  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Spanish-language Catholic unid, 700kHz, above WLW!
« on: March 16, 2013, 2358 UTC »
I've only once heard a station above WLW before this, and that was an unid of another sort entirely.  Last night, a Spanish-speaking Catholic station was in ascendance for most of the time I was DXing.  Here's my log.  I've tried searching for the phone number given, no joy.  Could this be from over the southern border? 

700, 0605-0620.  Spanish-language Catholic call-in show; two presenters, both male, taking calls for prayers from listeners.  One man asked for strength, a woman wanted to pray for her son.  Many mentions of the word of God, Jesus, Catolica, the Holy Spirit at least once, and one reference to what sounded like 'a mighty fortress is our God'.  Telephone number given 938-388-2286.  Signal good but fluttery, variable but generally strong above WLW in Cincinnati.  SIO 434. 

Anybody have any idea who this is? 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish-language Catholic unid, 700kHz, above WLW!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 0207 UTC »
Per wikipedia, area code 938:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_codes_256_and_938

Area codes 256 and 938 are telephone numbering plan codes in the northern portion of the state of Alabama.

In March 2009, the Alabama Public Service Commission announced that the state's first overlay area code, 938, would be added on top of the current 256 area code "sometime in 2011"
o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 2100 UTC »
What bearing was the station in question? 

If it was from the west, it could have been a California station, KMBX in Soledad (700 watts nights), which is a Spanish speaking Catholic station, according to Lee Freshwater's AMLogbook site.  According to Radio Locator, a lot of their signal goes east. 

I don't see any other stations on any of the other station listings that would match a Spanish Catholic program on that frequency. There might have been a new one that hasn't made the lists yet. Knowing the bearing from which you heard the station would help to narrow it down.

There's also a Mexican Station in Hidalgo Del Parral, Chihuahua state that has apparently been heard as far north as Oregon and Washington -- it could be a possibility, although I'm not sure what their format is.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 0003 UTC »
700 WDMV (Walkersville, MD) "La Jefa" has been known to leave the day power on at night.  When it happens, they are often heard in the Midwest over/under WLW.  No idea though if they air any religious programming.

There is an Alabama station on 700, another daytimer, but their format is farm/talk radio - WCNF.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 0007 UTC by Kilokat7 »
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 0351 UTC »
Thanks for the info, folks!  I've since heard this station at least once more, but I've yet to get an ID.  I'll keep trying.  As for which direction the signal was coming from, is it ridiculous of me to say I can't tell?  Because I can't tell!  The radio's been stationery (stationary? I fail) for the winter, and I get directions impossibly mixed up while indoors.  Ugh. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 1429 UTC »
As for which direction the signal was coming from, is it ridiculous of me to say I can't tell?  Because I can't tell!  The radio's been stationery (stationary? I fail) for the winter, and I get directions impossibly mixed up while indoors.  Ugh.  

It doesn't sound ridiculous.... in a lot of areas it's not easy to instantly know where north is, or where south is. But it's not that tough to figure out.

The easiest way to tell directions in a building is to look at a map of your DXing address (Google maps is useful for this kind of thing), and find out which part of your house or apartment faces north, west, south, east, etc. (or even just one of those directions).  

Then figure out which wall of your DXing room faces one of those directions. You only need to know the direction one wall faces to figure out a general bearing when DXing in a room.  In my case I have a wall with a window that I know faces West.  That's all I need to know.

So if the back or front of my Superadio is facing that particular wall when a station is strongest, the station is probably West or East of me.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns