We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Hobby Broadcasting Radio  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
Hobby Broadcasting Radio
« on: November 15, 2022, 0237 UTC »
I wrote about this more on my blog, but Hobby Broadcasting Radio show #1 is done. It's scheduled to be aired on WBCQ's 5130-kHz transmitter on Thursday November 17 from 11-12 PM EST (November 18 from 0400-0500 UTC).

This show is primarily an interview with Brian Penney (longtime pirate listener and also the pirate radio columnist for NASWA), where we also talk about Halloween stations and manage to squeeze in some clips from stations on that weekend.

The plan is for HB Radio to be on the air every third Thursday of the month at this time on 5130 kHz. I'm not sure what the coverage is like for 5130, and I don't yet have it online. Let me know if you'd like to hear it, but can't.

If you hear show #1, did it sound like something you'd want to listen to each month? If not, is there anything we could do to make it better?
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hobby Broadcasting Radio
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 2210 UTC »
Andy - I look forward to listening even though the time is kind of late for an old guy like me!  But I’ll do the old Fred Flintstone toothpicks to prop open the eyes trick if need be.
Thanks for your continued support of the hobby.
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

UncleJohn

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 2234 UTC »
Andy - I look forward to listening even though the time is kind of late for an old guy like me!  But I’ll do the old Fred Flintstone toothpicks to prop open the eyes trick if need be. Thanks for your continued support of the hobby. FPE

If that don't work you can go the "Alex DeLarge" route (found the dvd today @ local thrift store- you're never too old to enjoy a decent hobby).  8)

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 2341 UTC »
Andy - I look forward to listening even though the time is kind of late for an old guy like me!  But I’ll do the old Fred Flintstone toothpicks to prop open the eyes trick if need be. Thanks for your continued support of the hobby. FPE

If that don't work you can go the "Alex DeLarge" route (found the dvd today @ local thrift store- you're never too old to enjoy a decent hobby).  8)

Hah!  Yes you are right but 4am (when I get up) comes awfully early….
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 1704 UTC »
Thanks much for the interest! Sleep's important and this is the only time slot, so I can e-mail the MP3 to you if you'd like and if your e-mail can handle 20Mb attachments
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 1730 UTC »
Thanks much for the interest! Sleep's important and this is the only time slot, so I can e-mail the MP3 to you if you'd like and if your e-mail can handle 20Mb attachments

Since I did not get a chance to hear it. I would like a copy. Thanks
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 1918 UTC »

Andy - that would be great if you email me the mp3 just in case the toothpicks break
Thanks!

Offline ION Radio

• LLFR!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 2050 UTC »
Yes, I would love a copy of that. Thanks Andrew.
QTH- East of everywhere.
ICOM and 40m Dipole
ionradioshortwave@gmail.com

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 0403 UTC »
Program beginning now, good signal on the Northwest Ireland KiwiSDR. WBCQ 5130 kHz is difficult to hear at my location, but it makes it to Europe well.

Thanks for the program! I really enjoyed it! I can’t wait to hear it again next month :D

My off-air recording of the full program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRyeY0JKv7s
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 0609 UTC by Shortwave_listener »
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 0411 UTC »
you should have had some pirates broadcast it too . bcq is buried in the noise , so if you feel like it Andrew send me a copy to listen to .

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 0413 UTC »
I have very poor direct reception here in Springfield, MA, but earlier saw the wisdom of breaking a general rule to not use online SDR's. I have excellent reception on Chris Smolinski's 120 foot T2FD kiwi! Some light fades, but overall a solid S9 here. Time to kick back and enjoy the show....thanks Andrew!
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 0436 UTC »
It's coming in better here than I'd expected on my new horizontal loop: S9+5/10, pretty steady. I should've set the levels on the phone higher. I am happy that I could completely copy some of the airchecks

Outhouse: I don't think I have your address

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 0444 UTC »
It's coming in better here than I'd expected on my new horizontal loop: S9+5/10, pretty steady. I should've set the levels on the phone higher. I am happy that I could completely copy some of the airchecks

Outhouse: I don't think I have your address
my email is still the same

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 0538 UTC »
If you have a studio recording of the program, it's worth uploading to the internet archive site, archive.org. I've used that site for years to upload a few of my better off air recordings. All are still intact -- unlike all the other upload sites that went dormant or switched from free to premium subscriptions and deleted every file from the free accounts.

And if pirates want to relay the program, they can access it easily from there. Even if we upload a wav file, the site automagically creates more compact but good quality files in common formats, as well as open source formats that have no licensing issues. And media files can be played directly from archive dot org via their built-in players, or streamed through our preferred media player.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 1338 UTC »
Here's another off-air recording I made using Chris Smolinski's 120 foot T2FD kiwi, through my browser direct to Audacity. Enjoyed the show very much and I hope to hear these shows on a regular monthly basis. Thanks Andrew and Brian Penney! Good job all around!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r2YZCRzfQ416PQTmIjVyFHYG3Of3U1Nn/view?usp=sharing
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's